Pointlike charge - electric potential

In summary, the question asks for the electric potential at a point 0.80 m away from a point charge of 3.5 mC. Using Gauss' Law, the formula V=kQ1/R, where k=9E9, Q1=3.5 mC, and R=0.80m, the calculated answer is 3.9375E10 V. However, the system used for the homework may be expecting the charge to be in Coulombs instead of milli Coulombs, resulting in an incorrect answer.
hannaps
This is my first time using a website like this, so I sincerely apologize if I'm posting in the wrong spot, I'm just in a bind/frustrated with this seemingly easy problem.

Homework Statement

What is the electric potential at a point 0.80 m away from a point charge of 3.5m C?

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law V= kQ1/R
K = 9E9
Q1 = 3.5 C
R= .80m

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I am aware, this is the only way to solve a problem like this and when using the equation given, I get an answer of 3.9375E10 V and LONCAPA (system in which homework is given) continues to say it is incorrect. I've tried converting it to nC as well and it won't work. Should there be another equation that I am missing in order to complete it or is it safe to suggest that system has the wrong answer as the correct one? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hannaps, Welcome to Physics Forums.

The formula is correct. Your problem statement lists the electric charge as 3.5 mC. That's milli Coulombs. Try that.

By the way, 3.5 Coulombs in one place would be a mighty big electric charge!

1. What is a pointlike charge?

A pointlike charge, also known as a point charge, is an idealized model of a charge that is assumed to have no physical dimension or size. It is represented as a single point in space with a certain amount of electric charge.

2. How is electric potential related to pointlike charges?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. It is directly related to pointlike charges as they are the source of the electric field that creates the potential.

3. Can pointlike charges have different magnitudes?

Yes, pointlike charges can have different magnitudes. The magnitude of a point charge is typically represented by the letter Q and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

4. How does the distance from a pointlike charge affect the electric potential?

The electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the pointlike charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric potential decreases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's law.

5. What is the significance of electric potential in practical applications?

Electric potential has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of electronic devices and circuits. It is also used in fields such as electrochemistry, where it plays a crucial role in determining the direction and rate of chemical reactions.