Polar Coordinants and Double Integrals

In summary, the problem is to find the area of the piece enclosed by the intersection of the circles r = sin t and r = cos t.
Menisto
The problem is to find the area of the piece enclosed by the intersection of the circles r = sin t and r = cos t.

I tried to set up the integral:

Integral[0 to Pi/4]Integral[Sin[t] to Cos[t]] r dr d@

but this doesn't seem work, I get out .25, and just by eyeballing it, I can tell it is less. It seems tricky because the upper bound r = cos [t] is being traced out between the angles Pi/4 and Pi/2, while the lower bound r = sin [t] is being traced out between the angles 0 and Pi/4.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget you're working in polar coordinates, not rectangular ones. You shouldn't be thinking of vertical lines; you should be thinking of radial lines.

I'm struggling to see how I would describe this region using only a single double integral, or would I need two?

Yah; in polar coordinates, I would expect you either to use two integrals or to take advantage of symmetry.

Symmetry: Say if I were to describe the region from the center of the cosine circle. The angle would be from Pi/4 to Pi/2. Now, if I flipped the portion of the sin circle corresponding to these angles, it would again look like the region. Would the radius then go from 0 to Cos[t] - Sin[t]? The answer is much more reasonable, but it still seems like I'm doing something that seems wrong.

Would the radius then go from 0 to Cos[t] - Sin[t]?
Nope. Remember, you're looking at radial lines. What are the endpoints of a radial line lying in your shape?

I don't get what you're asking. The radial line of the cosine circle would start at [.5, 0] and go to cos[t]?

Last edited:
I feel so stupid, It's just the double integral of with angles 0 to pi/4 and radius 0 to sin[t], times 2 (symmetry).

That sounds right!

Thanks for the help!

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of denoting points in a plane using a distance and an angle from a fixed point called the pole. In contrast, Cartesian coordinates use a horizontal and vertical distance from a fixed point called the origin. The main difference between the two systems is that polar coordinates are based on a circular reference system, while Cartesian coordinates are based on a rectangular reference system.

2. How are polar coordinates converted to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, we use the following formulas:
x = r cos(θ)
y = r sin(θ)
Where r is the distance from the pole and θ is the angle from the reference direction.

3. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is an integral with two variables, r and θ, and is used to find the area of a region in the polar plane. It involves integrating a function over a specified region and is denoted as ∬f(r,θ)drdθ.

4. How is the region of integration determined in double integrals using polar coordinates?

The region of integration in double integrals using polar coordinates is determined by the boundaries of r and θ. The outer boundary for r is the curve that defines the region in the polar plane, while the inner boundary is determined by the pole. The boundaries for θ are the angles that define the desired portion of the region.

5. What are some applications of polar coordinates and double integrals in science?

Polar coordinates and double integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving circular or spherical symmetry. They are also used in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics to model and analyze physical phenomena. Additionally, polar coordinates are used in navigation and mapping, as well as in computer graphics and image processing.