1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Coordinants and Double Integrals

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    The problem is to find the area of the piece enclosed by the intersection of the circles r = sin t and r = cos t.

I tried to set up the integral:

Integral[0 to Pi/4]Integral[Sin[t] to Cos[t]] r dr d@

but this doesn't seem work, I get out .25, and just by eyeballing it, I can tell it is less. It seems tricky because the upper bound r = cos [t] is being traced out between the angles Pi/4 and Pi/2, while the lower bound r = sin [t] is being traced out between the angles 0 and Pi/4.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget you're working in polar coordinates, not rectangular ones. You shouldn't be thinking of vertical lines; you should be thinking of radial lines.

4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    I'm struggling to see how I would describe this region using only a single double integral, or would I need two?

5. Oct 17, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yah; in polar coordinates, I would expect you either to use two integrals or to take advantage of symmetry.

6. Oct 17, 2006 #5
    Symmetry: Say if I were to describe the region from the center of the cosine circle. The angle would be from Pi/4 to Pi/2. Now, if I flipped the portion of the sin circle corresponding to these angles, it would again look like the region. Would the radius then go from 0 to Cos[t] - Sin[t]? The answer is much more reasonable, but it still seems like I'm doing something that seems wrong.

7. Oct 17, 2006 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope. Remember, you're looking at radial lines. What are the endpoints of a radial line lying in your shape?

8. Oct 17, 2006 #7
    I don't get what you're asking. The radial line of the cosine circle would start at [.5, 0] and go to cos[t]?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  9. Oct 17, 2006 #8
    I feel so stupid, It's just the double integral of with angles 0 to pi/4 and radius 0 to sin[t], times 2 (symmetry).

10. Oct 17, 2006 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds right!

11. Oct 17, 2006 #10
    Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?