1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar coordinates finding area between two curves

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

r=sinx
    r= cosx

Ok , i need help how to properly select the integral to evaluate the area they make. Can someone please show me how , i know how to evaluate it just having hard times with integrals

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2
    it will be easiest if you first draw out the curves. This will help you figure out what your integral should be.

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    i graphed it on calculator, and i did set them equal to each other to get tanx=1 but from here on idk what to do

5. Apr 20, 2008 #4
    first of all over what interval?

6. Apr 20, 2008 #5
    if you're given those in parametric form in polar, you are going to get two circles in the x,y (or r,theta) plane, i believe. But as ice109 said, its also important that you know how x varies for this one.

7. Apr 20, 2008 #6
    the interval is 0,2pi

8. Apr 20, 2008 #7
    Multiply both sides by r, then change to rectangular form. Is this Calculus 2 or 3? B/c I did this problem yesterday.

9. Apr 20, 2008 #8
    Calc 2

10. Apr 21, 2008 #9
    how would i change it to rectangular form, using x=rcos(theta) and y=rsin(theta)

?

11. Apr 21, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it isn't. Since sine and cosine are negative for half that interval using 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] gives you each circle twice. And, in fact, the area you want only requires [itex]\theta[/itex] going from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

However, you are correct that the circles intersect when tan[itex]\theta[/itex]= 1- that is, at [itex]\theta= \pi/4[/itex] as well as at 0. For [itex]0\le \theta\le \pi/4[/itex], a radius goes from 0 to cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) while from [itex]\pi/4\le \theta\le \pi/2[/itex] it goes from 0 to sin([itex]\theta[/itex]). From symmetry, you should be able to integrate cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) from 0 to [itex]\pi/4[/itex] and double.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?