Polar Coordinates Homework: Find Equations & Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equations for plane polar unit vectors and Cartesian unit vectors in terms of each other. It also mentions using these equations to show that the derivative of r with respect to t is equal to the cross product of theta and theta dot. The recommended resource for this topic is Wikipedia's page on polar coordinate systems.
v_pino

Homework Statement

Give the equations for the plane polar unit vectors

^ ^
r and (theta)
- -

in terms of

the Cartesian unit vectors
^ and ^ and hence show that
i j
- -

^ . ^
dr / dt = (theta) x theta
- -

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how I can approach this question as I missed my lesson. I tried to google Polar Coordinates but the materials that I found weren't closely related to this. What topic should I look up? Any recommended websites? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, there! I understand your confusion with this question. Let me explain the topic of polar coordinates and how it relates to this question.

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance and an angle. The distance is represented by the letter "r" and the angle is represented by the Greek letter "theta" (θ). These coordinates are often used in mathematics and physics to describe circular or rotational motion.

In order to find the equations for the plane polar unit vectors, we need to first understand how they relate to the Cartesian unit vectors (i and j). The polar unit vector in the direction of increasing r is denoted by r^ and the unit vector in the direction of increasing θ is denoted by θ^. These unit vectors are perpendicular to each other and to the Cartesian unit vectors.

To find the equations for r^ and θ^, we can use the following relationships:

r^ = cos(θ)i + sin(θ)j
θ^ = -sin(θ)i + cos(θ)j

Using these equations, we can show that the derivative of r with respect to time (dr/dt) is equal to θ^ x r^. This is because the cross product of two vectors is equal to the magnitude of the first vector multiplied by the magnitude of the second vector, multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. In this case, the angle between θ^ and r^ is 90 degrees, so the sine of the angle is 1. This simplifies the equation to dr/dt = r^ x θ^.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the topic of polar coordinates and how it relates to this question. If you need further assistance, I would recommend looking up online resources or consulting with a teacher or tutor. Best of luck with your homework!

What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system used to represent points in a two-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin (known as the radius) and an angle measured from a fixed reference line (known as the polar axis).

How do I convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * cos(theta)
y = r * sin(theta)
where r is the radius and theta is the angle in radians.

What is the equation for a circle in polar coordinates?

The equation for a circle in polar coordinates is r = a, where a is the radius of the circle.

How do I find the equations of lines in polar coordinates?

To find the equation of a line in polar coordinates, you can use the slope-intercept form y = mx + b and convert the x and y values to polar coordinates using the conversion formulas mentioned earlier.

What are some common applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the position and movement of objects in a two-dimensional space. They are also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in polar graphs and equations in mathematics.