Polar moment of inertia in a rod?

In summary, the polar moment of inertia in a rod is calculated using the formula I = ∫ r^2 dm, where dm is the elemental mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. This formula is also known as the area moment of inertia. When dealing with a solid cylinder, the formula for mass moment of inertia is used, which is I = (M/L) ∫ r^2 dr. The equation given, r^2 x (M/L) x dr, is incorrect and should not be used. The correct equation for a drilling rod is I = π/2 x (D^4 - d^4
smr101
How is the polar moment of inertia in a rod calculated?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea what it is. This link something ?

Yeah, I've had a look at that. Formula doesn't quite make sense to me. I know what moment of inertia is but the 'polar' bit has thrown me off. Thanks anyway.

Since there is no context whatsoever in the original posting, it's difficult to assist any further here.

BvU said:
Since there is no context whatsoever in the original posting, it's difficult to assist any further here.

Here's the problem., 4. (b) (i) is the one I'm looking at.

H7jim.jpg

Well, at least now I can understand your confusion. However, it doesn't literally ask for the polar moment of inertia (a.k.a area moment of inertia), but for the polar mass moment of inertia. I see that used for the rotational moment of inertia, so with the context of b (ii) and b(iii) that seems the most logical choice.

BvU said:
Well, at least now I can understand your confusion. However, it doesn't literally ask for the polar moment of inertia (a.k.a area moment of inertia), but for the polar mass moment of inertia. I see that used for the rotational moment of inertia, so with the context of b (ii) and b(iii) that seems the most logical choice.

What is the formula for rotational moment of inertia?

Can't imagine you haven't seen it before ! What did you use for 4a ?

## I=\int dI = {\displaystyle \int_0^M r^2 \; dm}##

BvU said:

I'm on 4. (a) (ii) currently. Where should it be used in (a)?

Ok, thanks, I have seen it but haven't used it previously.

BvU said:

I've found this... http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi2.html#irod3

Looking at the bottom set of equations, so dm = (M/L) x dr...

So essentially, the equation is r^2 x (M/L) x dr...

Using these number that would be 0.075^2 x (20/2) x 0.15 x 0.075...

Is that correct?

Tempting indeed (*), but I think this time the rod is turning around its length axis. I.e. it's a solid cylinder !

And you will need a moment of inertia in 4a (ii) as well: you don't just have to accelerate the cart, but also the drum.
However, in 4a (ii) they give you a radius of gyration, so you use that to calculate the moment of inertia..(*) well, not really. did you really think dr stands for diameter x radius (because I see a 0.15 x 0.075, and then a few dots, indicating justified doubt, I hope) ?

Ok, I am familiar with the equation for mass moment of inertia for a cylinder, which fits with this.

So are you saying the equation you gave me wouldn't work with this? I find it odd they say it's a rod and expect a cylinder equation to be used.

And yes I knew it wasn't the correct answer as I have the solutions and it didn't match...I see that dr is used in the integration equation now.

So what is the formula?
dm = elemental mass =
(M/L) x dr so the whole equation is r^2 x (M/L) x dr
And then?

It's a drilling rod. Look here

1. What is the polar moment of inertia in a rod?

The polar moment of inertia in a rod is a measure of the rod's resistance to torsion, or twisting, around its central axis. It takes into account the distribution of mass around the axis, and is an important property in determining a rod's stability and strength.

2. How is the polar moment of inertia calculated?

The polar moment of inertia is calculated by summing the products of each infinitesimal element of mass in the rod, its distance from the axis, and the square of its distance from the axis. This integral is represented by the equation Ip = ∫r2dm.

3. How does the polar moment of inertia differ from the moment of inertia?

The polar moment of inertia is specific to torsional motion, while the moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion in general. The polar moment of inertia is also dependent on the axis of rotation, while the moment of inertia is not.

4. What factors affect the polar moment of inertia in a rod?

The polar moment of inertia is affected by the shape, size, and mass distribution of the rod. A rod with a larger diameter or a hollow cross-section will have a higher polar moment of inertia, as well as a rod with more mass concentrated towards the outer edges.

5. Why is the polar moment of inertia important in engineering and design?

The polar moment of inertia is important in engineering and design because it helps determine the stability and strength of a rod under torsional stress. It is used in the design of various structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure they can withstand potential torsional forces. It is also important in the design of rotating machinery, such as turbines and motors.