1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polyatomic ions, -ate and -ite suffixes

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With the Polyatomic ions, how do you tell an "ate" from an "ite" when choosing the suffix? I didn't quite catch what the teacher was saying but there was something about the charge compared with the subscript, I think? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

er.. maybe this actually belongs in science education area. I just saw the restructuring. Feel free to move this if needed. :smile:

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3
    You generally have to memorize the polyatomic ions, since an -ate won't have a set number and neither will an -ite, it will depend on what the poly. ion is.

Such as sulfite (SO3) and sulfate (S04) vs. Nitrite (NO2) and Nitrate (NO3)

However, you only need to memroize the -ite one, since you know the -ate one is always just going to have one more.

5. Oct 12, 2005 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, thanks very much! :smile:

6. Oct 12, 2005 #5
    Ite refers to the lower state of oxidation and ate to the higher state. Example: copper sulfite and copper sulfate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?