Polynomial Division puzzler(well to me anyway :P )

In summary, the equation is 20s^2+9st+t^2 but the numerator, 5s^2+6st+t^2, is not equal to the denominator, (5s+t)(s+5t). To solve the equation, the person used a calculator but found that the answer was 1, which is not what was shown on the website. They then tried doing it a second time and got a different answer. They then wrote out the equation and reduced it to (s+5t)/(t-s). The remaining part of the equation is 2s^2-7st+3t^2 and the person was able to solve this by factoring out and
ramstin
O.K I factored and reduced an equation I am doing down to (s+5t)/(t-s)

I could not figure it out so I went to webmath and used a calculator to find out the answer so I could reverse solve the problem. The answer is 1 according to webmath. Any hints on how to get started on this becuase I do not see how you can get rid of the 5?:yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
ramstin said:
O.K I factored and reduced an equation I am doing down to (s+5t)/(t-s)

I could not figure it out so I went to webmath and used a calculator to find out the answer so I could reverse solve the problem. The answer is 1 according to webmath. Any hints on how to get started on this becuase I do not see how you can get rid of the 5?:yuck:

If it is an equation, what is the remaining part of the equation? How did you factor what you have so far?

There's a very easy way to prove (s + 5t) / (t - s) is not identically equal to 1. (I'll give you time to figure this one out -- and I advise doing so, it's a widely useful but overlooked technique)

Have you tried going through the problem a second time? I find that I rarely make the same mistake twice. So when I'm not completely confident in my arithmetic, I will often do the same problem twice from scratch (and in different ways, if possible) to check myself. If I get a mismatch, I can often track down exactly what I did wrong.

But finally, I can't possibly figure out what you've done wrong unless you showed your work. :smile:

O.k. Here goes. The equation is
20s^2+9st+t^2 2s^2-7st+3t^2 5s^2+6st+t^2
-------------- * --------------- * --------------
5s^2-14st-3t^2 t^2+3st-4s^2 10s^2-3st-t^2

factored out to

(5s+t)(4s+t) (2s-t)(s-3t) (5s+t)(s+5t)
------------*-----------*-------------
(5s+t)(s-3t) (t-s)(t+4s) (5s+t)(2s-t)

reduced to
(s+5t)/(t-s)
from this point I am stuck.

The numerator in your last fraction: [itex]5s^2+6st+t^2\neq(5s+t)(s+5t)[/itex].

I re did the equation and ended up with (s+t)/(s-t). Thanks everyone.

So far you haven't shown us any equation. An equation has to have a "= " somewhere in it!

And (s+t)/(s-t) still isn't equal to 1!

Sorry It was perform the indicated operation. Not solve the equation. Honestly i did not know an equation had to have a = . The instructor at the community college I am going to never spent any time on terms.

As for the 1 thing. I think the calculator on webmath is messed up. It said (s+t)/(s-t) =1 But my calculator says in doing so you would have to divide by zero which cannot be done.

1. What is polynomial division?

Polynomial division is a mathematical process used to divide one polynomial by another. It is similar to long division, but instead of dividing numbers, we are dividing polynomials, which are algebraic expressions with multiple terms.

2. How do I solve a polynomial division problem?

To solve a polynomial division problem, you need to follow a specific set of steps. First, arrange the terms of the polynomial in descending order. Then, divide the first term of the dividend (numerator) by the first term of the divisor (denominator). This will give you the first term of the quotient. Then, multiply this term by the entire divisor and subtract it from the dividend. Repeat this process until you have subtracted all the terms of the divisor from the dividend. The remaining terms are the remainder, and the terms you have found while dividing are the quotient.

3. What is the remainder in polynomial division?

The remainder in polynomial division is the polynomial that is left after dividing the dividend by the divisor. It is the part of the dividend that cannot be divided by the divisor. In other words, it is the difference between the dividend and the product of the quotient and the divisor.

4. Why is polynomial division important?

Polynomial division is important because it allows us to simplify complex polynomials and solve equations involving polynomials. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and is used in various fields of science, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in polynomial division?

There are a few common mistakes to avoid in polynomial division. These include confusing the order of terms, not properly arranging the terms in descending order, forgetting to include 0 as a placeholder for missing terms, and making calculation errors while multiplying or subtracting. It is essential to double-check your work and follow the steps carefully to avoid these mistakes.