Is p a Root of the Linear Combination af(x) + bg(x)?

In summary, Arcnets says that if f(x) and g(x) share the factor (x-p), then p is a root of the equation af(x) + bg(x). However, this is not always the case, as 3 is not a root of 3x2- 6x+ 3+ 3x2+ 3x- 9.
denian
question :

if p is a common factor of the equations f(x)=0, and g(x)=0, prove that p is also a root of the equation af(x) + bg(x) where a and b are constants.

i want to know the working.
i don't think the working will be like this :

af(p) + bg(p) = a(0) + b(0) = 0

so, i need the correct working here. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a 'factor of an equation'? I don't understand...

Surely you must know what factorisation of polynomials is, Arcnets.

Yeah, OK. So f(x) and g(x) share the factor (x-p), right?
[tex]
f(x) = 0 \ (\bmod{(x-p)}) \ \wedge \ g(x) = 0 \ (\bmod{(x-p)})
[/tex]
[tex]
\Rightarrow
[/tex]
[tex]
af(x) + bg(x) = a\cdot0 + b\cdot0 = 0 \ (\bmod{(x-p)})
[/tex]
IOW, the original idea is correct.

LaTeX is hard...

Last edited:
Yes, both arcnets and I know what a "factor of a polynomial" is- but that is not normally called a "factor of an equation". Also, you didn't say that "x-p" is a factor, you said "p is a factor".

I would have interpreted that to mean that, for example, 3 is a factor of 3x2- 6x+ 3= 0 and also a factor of 3x2+ 3x- 9= 0. However, 3 is NOT root of the equation
3x2- 6x+ 3+ 3x2+ 3x- 9= 0

What you meant to say was that p was a root of both f(x)= 0 and g(x)= 0. Then, of course, af(p)+ bg(p)= a(0)+ b(0)= 0. (And, in fact, it not required that either p or x-p be factors of f and g- in fact, it is not required that f and g be polynomials.)

Yes, both arcnets and I know what a "factor of a polynomial" is- but that is not normally called a "factor of an equation". Also, you didn't say that "x-p" is a factor, you said "p is a factor".

Well, I pointed out what the original poster was driving at, I didn't write the question.

You are correct with what you say, but Denian appears to be from Malaysia, maybe he's not quite au fait with English mathematical terminology.

And how will he learn the English terminology if nobody ever tells him what he meant to say?

well.. actually i know what's the difference btw the factor of the equation and the root of the equation.

i didnt read the question in the book correctly, and i just type everything from the book.
but, once i read the question, i quickly make an assumption that
(x-p) is a factor of the function f and g, and f(p)= g(p) = 0 without thinking any further.

i don't have much problem with the Eng terminology in math/physics/chem but a lot in Biology. this is the first year that the student of higher school are required to learn Math and Science subjects in English. so, there might be a bit problem, since we used to learn Math & Sc in Malay (for about 10 years)

anyway, thanks for the explanation

The crucial point is that saying x= p is a root of f(x)= 0 does NOT mean that (x-p) is a factor of f(x). That is only true if f(x) is a polynomial.

?
an example of what you mean HallsofIvy.

What is polynomial factorization?

Polynomial factorization is the process of breaking down a polynomial into smaller, simpler polynomials that can be multiplied together to obtain the original polynomial. It is an important concept in algebra and is often used in solving equations and finding roots of polynomial functions.

What are the different methods of polynomial factorization?

There are several methods of polynomial factorization, including the factoring out the greatest common factor, grouping, difference of squares, trinomial factoring, and the quadratic formula. Each method is useful for different types of polynomials and can be chosen based on the specific polynomial being factored.

Why is polynomial factorization useful?

Polynomial factorization is useful in simplifying complex expressions and solving equations. It can also help in graphing polynomial functions and finding the roots of equations. Additionally, factoring polynomials can reveal important information about the behavior of the polynomial, such as its intercepts and turning points.

What are the steps involved in polynomial factorization?

The general steps for polynomial factorization include identifying the type of polynomial, factoring out the greatest common factor, grouping terms, and applying specific factoring methods depending on the polynomial. It is important to check the final result by multiplying the factors back together to ensure they are correct.

Can all polynomials be factored?

Not all polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials, known as prime polynomials, cannot be broken down into smaller factors. In these cases, the polynomial is already in its simplest form and cannot be factored any further.