1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polystyrene repeat unit molecular weight.

1. Sep 27, 2017 #1
    Edit: thread moved from non HW forum.

I'm trying to calculate the unit molecular weight of polystyrene. I'm given the structure, and I have to count all the elements in the structure. To calculate the weight, I keep counting 8C & 7H. The correct answer is 8C +8H. I'm having a hard time deterring where the additional H is coming from.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2017 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 27, 2017 #3

Borek

Can you draw the unit and post it as a picture?

5. Sep 27, 2017 #4
    Picture from the text book.

Attached Files:

6. Sep 27, 2017 #5
    Posted a picture from the text book. Sorry about the wrong thread posting.

7. Sep 27, 2017 #6

Borek

How many hydrogen atoms on the ring? How many hydrogen atoms on the side chain?

8. Sep 27, 2017 #7
    I see 4 in the ring, and 3 in the structure. Idk where I'm leaving the other H atom off.

9. Sep 27, 2017 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are 5 in the ring, one on each C except the C joined to the rest of unit..

10. Sep 28, 2017 #9

Borek

And - as epenguin said - that's where you are wrong. You were probably mislead by the picture and the way it depicts the hydrogen atoms on the alkane chain.

Imagine just benzene - how many hydrogens on the ring? How many hydrogens will be left on a mono substituted ring?

11. Oct 24, 2017 #10
    The benzene ring has 6 carbons and 6 hydrogens. There side chain takes the place of only of the hydrogens on the ring, leaving only 5 hydrogens on the ring. The side chain has 3 hydrogens. So, add 3 hydrogens from the side chain + 5 hydrogens from the benzene ring = total 8 hydrogens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted