Position of Block When Spring Stops Pulling

In summary: explained that the problem is that the force of the spring must balance the applied force, so the answer is negative.
mochabcha
position of a spring!

Okay, Here's the problem
The block in Figure 7-11a (Figure not important) lies on a horizontal frictionless surface and is attached to the free end of the spring, with a spring constant of 35 N/m. Initially, the spring is at its relaxed length and the block is stationary at position x = 0. Then an applied force with a constant magnitude of 2.8 N pulls the block in the positive direction of the x axis, stretching the spring until the block stops. Assume that the stopping point is reached. (a) What is the position of the block? (b) What is the work that has been done on the block by the applied force? (c) What is the work that has been done on the block by the spring force?

(a) I drew a free body diagram and it seems like when the block stops the spring force catches up to the applied force counteracting it and stopping the motion of the block. So, Hooke's law states that F(spring) = -kx; since F(spring) = F(applied) --> F(applied) = -kx.
I crunched those numbers and got -.08 which made sense because the applied force is going to be positive [f(s) is negative in Hooke's law and x being a negative number will cancel the negatives].
BUT THAT'S WRONG what's the problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,
I have been having troubles with these springs too but I will try to explain where the problem stands with your exercise.
Since the force pulls i.e. is directed +x-axis, it means that the force is negative because the force of spring has to balance the applied force. So it is -2.8N. Thus u can use the equation and end up with 0.08 m. Then the work should be negative (W = - .5(k x^2)
That's all I think

P.S: By the way, are you using the book which has a lightning in the front cover?

Electro said:
Hello,
I have been having troubles with these springs too but I will try to explain where the problem stands with your exercise.
Since the force pulls i.e. is directed +x-axis, it means that the force is negative because the force of spring has to balance the applied force. So it is -2.8N. Thus u can use the equation and end up with 0.08 m. Then the work should be negative (W = - .5(k x^2)
That's all I think

P.S: By the way, are you using the book which has a lightning in the front cover?

x=2*force/k

In a problem as simple as this, you don't really even need to get caught up in the whole negative/positive controversy. In fact, it's generally easier in physics to just think about the sign your final answer should have, rather than fussing with keeping the signs consistent the whole way through your calculation.

The block is being pulled to the right via some externally supplied force of 2.8N. The restoring force due to the spring pulls the block back to the left. When the block stops, the forces must be the same in both directions.

Don't worry about the signs. Just figure out how far you'd have to stretch the spring to get it to generate a force with a magnitude of 2.8N. Since the block was originally pulled in the direction of the positive x-axis, it's obvious that the block will be on the positive x-axis, and thus the distance will be positive.

- Warren

Related to Position of Block When Spring Stops Pulling

1. What is the position of the block when the spring stops pulling?

The position of the block when the spring stops pulling depends on a variety of factors such as the initial position of the block and the strength of the spring. It is not possible to determine the exact position without knowing these variables.

2. How does the position of the block change when the spring stops pulling?

When the spring stops pulling, the block will come to rest at a certain position. The position of the block will change from its initial position to the position where it comes to rest, which is influenced by the factors mentioned in the previous question.

3. Is there a formula to calculate the position of the block when the spring stops pulling?

Yes, there are mathematical formulas that can be used to calculate the position of the block when the spring stops pulling. However, these formulas can be complex and may require knowledge of calculus. They also depend on the specific variables of the situation.

4. Why is it important to know the position of the block when the spring stops pulling?

The position of the block when the spring stops pulling can provide valuable information about the behavior of the system. It can help in understanding how the spring and block interact and can be used to make predictions about future situations involving similar systems.

5. How can the position of the block when the spring stops pulling be measured?

The position of the block can be measured using various tools such as rulers, measuring tapes, or displacement sensors. The accuracy of the measurement will depend on the precision of the tool used and the skill of the person taking the measurement.