Positioning of a concave mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of lenses and mirrors in creating spotlights. It is suggested to use an ellipsoidal reflector and an iris to control the shape of the beam. Alternately, a parabolic reflector or a collimator can also be used. The use of only convex lenses and concave mirrors to create a tightly focused spot is also mentioned, with the need to apply the lensmaker's equation and consider the radii of curvature. The conversation ends with discussing the purpose of the lens and mirror combination.
pmmiller14
lenses and mirrors??

hi all,

i was wondering what would happen if a convex lens and a concave mirror were set up one after another, the convex len being first to receive the light. how would this work in spot lights? i don't see howa spot light can have a tightly focused spot on a stage, i don't see how it gets there..

when i originally tried to use the graphical method to help me figure this out i relised that i didn't know how the light would reflect off the mirror after being through the lens. does anyone have any theories?

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you check out the Wikipedia page on stage lighting instruments, you'll find a couple links to the primary classes of spotlights: ellipsoid reflectors and Fresnel lens spotlights. The ellipsoid reflectors are more common, and often have a barrel and gate providing for an iris that let's you control the shape of the beam.

So, that tightly focused spot you see is a result of an ellipsoidal reflector and an iris. It is possible to obtain tightly focused spots with simpler reflectors. A parabolic reflector, for instance, used to be used in old spotlights and anti-aircraft lighting. If you just want to create a beam of light with parallel rays, you can also use a collimator (which is just a curved lens with a light at its focus). Unfortunately, I haven't posted enough to provide links, but Google should turn up a few leads.

Hope this helps!
a.

Thank you aresnick it did help me out a bit.
what if you had to use only concave and convex lenses and mirrors to create the tightly focused spot? when i drew a set up of a light, then a convex lens, then a concave mirror the mirror relfects the light back towards the lens, so would that mean i would have to tilt the mirror?

Yep, you can use the concave mirror as a collector and the convex lens to focus the light. So if you take a look at the lensmaker's equation, you can apply that repeatedly to predict the focal length (which is where you want the stage to be if you're looking for a tightly controlled spot). You'll need to back out the radii of curvature from whatever lenses/mirrors you have available to you.

Good luck,
a.

ahh i see thank you for your help, i appreciate it :)

...?

if the set up goes a light, a convex lens, then a concave mirror how would the light rays reflec off the concave mirror.. that's what i am trying to figgure out.

What do you want the combination of lens plus mirror to accomplish?

to create a spot light, but only have convex lenses and concave mirrors (at varios focal lengths) as materials to do so.

1. What is the principle behind the positioning of a concave mirror?

The positioning of a concave mirror is based on the principle of reflection. Concave mirrors have a curved surface that reflects light rays and focuses them at a point called the focal point. The positioning of the mirror is important to ensure that the object being reflected is at the center of curvature, which is the middle of the curved surface.

2. How do you determine the focal point of a concave mirror?

The focal point of a concave mirror can be determined by drawing two parallel lines from the edges of the mirror towards its center. The point where these two lines meet is the focal point. Alternatively, you can use the formula f = R/2, where f is the focal length and R is the radius of curvature of the mirror.

3. What are the different types of positioning for a concave mirror?

There are two main types of positioning for a concave mirror: object at infinity and object at a finite distance. In the object at infinity positioning, the object is placed very far away from the mirror, and the reflected rays are parallel to each other. In the object at a finite distance positioning, the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror, and the reflected rays converge towards the focal point.

4. How does the positioning of a concave mirror affect the image formed?

The positioning of a concave mirror affects the size, orientation, and location of the image formed. When the object is placed at the center of curvature, the image formed is the same size and orientation as the object. When the object is placed between the center of curvature and the focal point, the image formed is magnified and inverted. When the object is placed beyond the center of curvature, the image formed is smaller, inverted, and real.

5. What is the practical application of a concave mirror's positioning?

The positioning of a concave mirror has many practical applications. It is used in telescopes to reflect and focus light from distant objects. It is also used in headlights of cars to produce a strong beam of light. Concave mirrors are also used in makeup and shaving mirrors to magnify the image and make it easier to see. They are also used in solar cookers to concentrate sunlight and produce heat for cooking.