Possible error in Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics?

In summary, The conversation discusses rotation matrices in classical mechanics and the differences between clockwise and counter-clockwise rotations. The correct rotation matrix is derived by expressing new coordinates in terms of the old using the rotation matrix. The columns represent the images of the new unit vectors in the old coordinate system.
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

so I was going over my notes on classical mechanics and just started to review rotation matrices which is the first topic the book starts with. On page 3, I've uploaded the page here

The rotation matrix associated with 1.2a and 1.2b is

\begin{pmatrix}
\cos\theta & \sin\theta \\
-\sin\theta & \cos\theta \\
\end{pmatrix}but when I try to derive the matrix by following the unit vectors ##\hat i## and ##\hat j##

I get

\begin{pmatrix}
\cos\theta & -\sin\theta \\
\sin\theta & \cos\theta \\
\end{pmatrix}

The one that the book derives would be clockwise rotation, and the one I got would be for counter-clockwise rotation correct?

Attachments

• m & t pg 3.png
    m & t pg 3.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
No. You want to express the new coordinates in terms of the old with the rotation matrix. The columns are the images of the new unit vectors, expressed in the old coordinate system: $$\hat i' = \cos\theta\; \hat i + \sin\theta\;\hat j \\\hat j' = -\sin\theta\; \hat i + \cos\theta\;\hat j $$

1. What is the main premise of Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics?

The main premise of Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics is to provide a comprehensive understanding of classical mechanics, including topics such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation laws, and the motion of rigid bodies.

2. How does Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics differ from other textbooks on classical mechanics?

Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics stands out from other textbooks on classical mechanics because of its emphasis on the use of variational principles, such as the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations, to derive equations of motion and solve problems.

3. What are some common errors that readers may encounter in Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics?

Some common errors that readers may encounter in Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics include typos, incorrect equations, and missing steps in derivations. These errors can be found in any textbook and should be identified and corrected by the reader as they work through the material.

4. How can readers ensure that they are understanding the material correctly and not making errors themselves?

To ensure a correct understanding of the material and to avoid making errors, readers should carefully follow the derivations and examples presented in the textbook, double-check their work, and seek help from a professor or tutor if they are unsure about a particular concept or problem.

5. Are there any resources available to help readers with possible errors in Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics?

Yes, there are resources available to help readers with possible errors in Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics. Some options include online forums where readers can discuss and clarify concepts, instructor solutions manuals, and errata lists that may be provided by the textbook publisher.