Potential flow around an airfoil

In summary, as an internet forum user, I suggest seeking online resources and consulting with other users for assistance in simulating potential flow around an airfoil using Matlab. It is possible to obtain a steady solution, and there are tools and databases available to aid in the process. Best of luck with your project!
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I invoke those aero-brains flying around here in order to help me in these questions:

I want to simulate numerically using Matlab the potential flow around an airfoil. The first question is if anyone of you knows if is it possible a steady solution of such potential flow (subsonic and laminar) over an airfoil. To be honest, potential theory is not my best, surprisingly I have not learned it in my university. But I want to simulate an elliptic problem such this, in part because I think it might be easier, and I don't hope to start writing a computer program that has no steady solution.

Another question is the elliptic grid generation. I have seen it is necessary to solve a partial differential system of elliptic equations in order to generate it. So I will need some type of normalized airfoil shape. I have read that NASA has some series of such profiles. Those who are aero-heads surely know where can I found this shapes (that allow me to strum the coordinate transformations) in the web.

Any help will be wellcomed with a cool Duff beer sent by e-mail. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
read fundamentals of aerodynamics by anderson chapter3 & 4. you need to write a vortex panel code. damn easy

As an internet forum user, I can offer some suggestions for your potential flow simulation. Firstly, it is possible to obtain a steady solution for potential flow over an airfoil using Matlab. There are many resources available online, such as tutorials and code examples, that can guide you through the process. It may also be helpful to consult with other Matlab users or ask for assistance on forums or online communities dedicated to aerodynamics or numerical simulation.

In terms of elliptic grid generation, it is true that a partial differential system must be solved in order to generate the grid. However, there are also tools and software available that can assist with this process, such as grid generation packages or add-ons for Matlab. As for obtaining airfoil shapes, NASA does indeed have a database of airfoil shapes that can be used for simulations. You can find this database on their website or by doing a quick internet search.

I hope this helps you in your potential flow simulation and wish you luck with your project. As for the Duff beer, unfortunately I cannot send it by email but I hope this advice will suffice! Happy simulating!

1. What is potential flow?

Potential flow is a theoretical model used in fluid dynamics to describe the motion of an ideal, non-viscous fluid. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid, and irrotational, meaning that the velocity of the fluid is directly proportional to the potential and there is no energy loss due to friction.

2. How is potential flow different from real flow?

In reality, fluids experience viscosity, which causes energy loss due to friction and turbulence. This means that potential flow is an idealized model that does not account for these real-world effects. However, it is still useful for analyzing and understanding fluid flow around objects, such as airfoils.

3. What is an airfoil?

An airfoil is a curved surface, typically with a streamlined shape, that is designed to produce lift when air flows over it. It is the shape of an airplane wing and is used to generate the necessary lift force for flight.

4. How does potential flow relate to airfoils?

Potential flow theory is often used to study the flow of air around an airfoil. By applying Bernoulli's principle, which states that an increase in velocity is accompanied by a decrease in pressure, potential flow theory can predict the lift and drag forces acting on an airfoil.

5. What are the limitations of potential flow theory?

Potential flow theory only applies to ideal, non-viscous fluids and does not account for factors such as boundary layer separation, which can significantly affect the flow around an airfoil. It also assumes that the airfoil is infinitely thin and symmetrical, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.