Potential of a rod moving through electric field

In summary, to find the potential at the far end of the rod, you need to use the Biot-Savart law to calculate the magnetic field at that point due to the wire, and the Lorentz force law to calculate the magnetic field at that point due to the moving rod. Then, you can use the equation V = B*v to find the potential at the far end of the rod.
lennardivoodo

Homework Statement

A vertical wire with current I, and a rod, perpendicular to the wire, at a distance d from the wire and with a length of L. The rod is moving with velocity v parallel to the wire. What is the potential at the far end of the rod given the chosen potential at the end of the rod closest to the wire is zero.

Homework Equations

B=\epsilon*I*(2*pi*L)
V=E

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started with trying to find the overall magnetic field the rod goes through, by integrating B from d to d+L, leaving me with ln((d+L)/d)*ϵ0*I/(2*pi)
Then given E=Electric potential, emf=E*L,
B*v=E=V

V=v*ln((d+L)/d)*ϵ0*I/(2*pi)

I doubt this is correct though, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Your approach seems to be on the right track, but there are a few things that need clarification and correction.

Firstly, the equation B = ε0*I*(2*pi*L) is not applicable in this situation. This equation is used for calculating the magnetic field at the center of a circular loop of wire, not for a wire and a rod configuration.

Instead, you can use the Biot-Savart law to calculate the magnetic field at a point P due to a current-carrying wire. The equation is given by:

B = (μ0*I)/(2*pi*r)

where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance between the wire and the point P.

Next, you need to find the magnetic field at the far end of the rod. To do this, you can use the superposition principle, which states that the total magnetic field at a point due to multiple sources is the vector sum of the individual magnetic fields at that point.

So, the magnetic field at the far end of the rod will be the sum of the magnetic field due to the wire and the magnetic field due to the moving rod. You can use the Biot-Savart law to calculate the magnetic field due to the wire, and you can use the Lorentz force law to calculate the magnetic field due to the moving rod.

Once you have the magnetic field at the far end of the rod, you can use the equation V = B*v to calculate the potential at that point.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the definition of electric potential?

The electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit charge from a reference point to a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is the electric potential calculated for a rod moving through an electric field?

The electric potential of a rod moving through an electric field is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the distance the rod travels in the field. This can be represented by the equation V = Ed, where V is the potential, E is the electric field, and d is the distance.

3. What is the relationship between the electric potential and the electric field?

The electric potential and the electric field are directly related. The electric field is the gradient of the electric potential, meaning that the electric field points in the direction of decreasing potential. This relationship is described by the equation E = -dV/dx, where E is the electric field, V is the potential, and x is the distance.

4. How does the potential of a rod moving through an electric field affect the motion of charges in the rod?

The potential of a rod moving through an electric field determines the direction and speed of the charges in the rod. Positive charges will move towards areas of lower potential, while negative charges will move towards areas of higher potential. The magnitude of the potential also determines the speed at which the charges move.

5. Can the potential of a rod moving through an electric field be negative?

Yes, the potential of a rod moving through an electric field can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction of the rod's motion. This can occur if the rod is moving from a region of higher potential to a region of lower potential.