Can someone help me find the power series representation for this function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the radius of convergence for a function using its power series representation. The speaker initially struggles with finding the correct answer using high order derivatives, but is advised to instead work out the power series expansion of log(1+x) and substitute 2x for x, making the process easier and less prone to errors. They also inquire about how to obtain the terms for the expansion, to which the response suggests taking higher derivatives again.
cmantzioros
I'm trying to do the question attached. I got the first three answers correct knowing that the nth derivative of a function evaluated at 0 divided by n! = c_n. However, I did the same for the others and the answer is incorrect. I know that I need the power series representation of that function in order to get the radius of convergence but I don't know how to get it. Can someone help please?

Attachments

• webworks.doc
    60.5 KB · Views: 185
Physics news on Phys.org
Save yourself some labor and work out the power series expansion of log(1+x) first. It has a simple form. Then substitute 2x for x in that and multiply the whole thing by 2x. This is easier and less error prone than taking high order derivatives which get more and more complicated.

ok thanks but how do I get the terms?

Take higher derivatives again. But this is a much easier function to deal with. Try it.

1. What is a power series representation?

A power series representation is a mathematical expression that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a power of the independent variable. It is a useful tool for approximating functions and solving differential equations.

2. How is a power series representation different from a polynomial?

A power series representation includes infinitely many terms, while a polynomial only has a finite number of terms. Additionally, the terms in a power series are not limited to just powers of the independent variable, but can also include other functions of the variable.

3. What is the general form of a power series representation?

The general form of a power series representation is ∑n=0 an(x-c)n, where an represents the coefficient of the nth term, x is the independent variable, and c is the center of the series.

4. How do you determine the convergence of a power series representation?

The convergence of a power series representation can be determined using the ratio test or the root test. The series will converge if the limit of the ratio or the limit of the root is less than 1. Additionally, a power series will converge within the interval of convergence, which can be determined using the ratio test.

5. What is the purpose of using a power series representation?

A power series representation is useful for approximating functions and solving differential equations, as it allows for complex functions to be broken down into simpler terms. It can also be used to extend a function beyond its known domain and to study the behavior of a function near a specific point.