Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x)

In summary, to represent the function 5ln(7-x) as a power series, also known as a Maclaurin series, the coefficients C_0 to C_4 can be found by taking the derivative of the previous coefficient and setting x = 0. The expression for the n-th coefficient of a Taylor series is c_n = (1/n!) * f^n (a), where f is the function and a is the center of the series. This formula can be used to find the coefficients C_0 to C_4 for the function 5ln(7-x).
beanryu
Represent the function 5ln(7-x) as a power series, i.e., Maclaurin series,

C_0=
C_1=
C_2=
C_3=
C_4=

i got C_0 = 5 ln (7-0)

and i think C_1 = 5/(7-1)

but its wrong

the textbook says that C_1 will be the derivative of C_0

anyway... please give me some hint

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to apply the chain rule.

okay thanx

i got C_2 = -(5/7)

but how come C_3 is not -5/49

I think you just keep taking the derivative of the previous and set x = 0

am I wrong?

beanryu said:
I think you just keep taking the derivative of the previous and set x = 0
Ehm, no, that's not the expression for the n-th coefficient of a Taylor series. (which should be in your book).

But you can find out. If f function is written as:
[tex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n (x-a)^n[/tex]
what is [itex]c_n[/itex] in terms of f and/or its derivatives? (Assume you can interchange differentiation and summation).

1. What is the Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x)?

The Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x) is a representation of the function 5ln(7-x) as an infinite sum of powers of x, centered at x=0. It is also known as the Taylor Series Expansion at x=0.

2. What is the formula for the Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x)?

The formula for the Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x) is:
f(x) = 5ln(7) + (-5/7)(x-7) + (25/98)(x-7)^2 + (-125/686)(x-7)^3 + ...

3. What is the interval of convergence for the Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x)?

The interval of convergence for the Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x) is (-7, 7]. This means that the series will converge for all values of x within this interval, but may diverge for values outside of this interval.

4. How is the Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x) derived?

The Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x) is derived by using the Taylor Series formula for a function centered at x=0. This involves finding the derivatives of the function at x=0 and substituting them into the formula. The general form for the Maclaurin Series Expansion is:
f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + (f''(0)/2!)x^2 + (f'''(0)/3!)x^3 + ...

5. Why is the Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x) useful?

The Maclaurin Series Expansion of 5ln(7-x) is useful because it allows us to approximate the value of the function for values of x within its interval of convergence. This can be helpful in situations where it is difficult or impossible to find the exact value of the function. Additionally, the Maclaurin Series Expansion can be used to find the derivatives of the function at x=0.