Powerpoint 2013 Issue Opening Presentation

• Thread starter blagojakavka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Presentation
In summary, the conversation discusses an error message that occurs when trying to open a PowerPoint presentation. The message suggests that the issue may be related to the antivirus program and provides steps to fix it. However, the person has tried disabling the antivirus program and the error still occurs. They suspect that the message may have been a ploy to get past the antivirus and that the presentation may contain a virus. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the error being related to file permissions rather than a virus.
blagojakavka
When I open a powerpoint presentation that I created I get the following message:The presentation cannot be opened. Your antivirus program may prevent you from opening the presentation. To fix this problem, make sure your antivirus program is current and working correctly. If the problem persists and the presentation is from someone that you trust, turn off your antivirus program, and then try to open the presentation again. If you do this, make sure you turn on your antivirus program again after you open the presentation.

I have disabled the AV and the error message still occurs. I have tried both Powerpoint 2003 and Powerpoint 2007.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The message was probably just a ploy to get past your antivirus. Antivirus software is designed to keep you from opening infected software. The only thing that was probably in the presentation was a virus. By turning off your AV and clicking on the presentation, you have very likely infected your computer.

Borg said:
The message was probably just a ploy to get past your antivirus. Antivirus software is designed to keep you from opening infected software. The only thing that was probably in the presentation was a virus. By turning off your AV and clicking on the presentation, you have very likely infected your computer.

This is a definite possibility and the OP shouldn't discount running a thorough AV scan, but the message is also a real Microsoft message that can trigger from various scenarios related to file permissions - for example restoring / copying / downloading a file in such a way that it retains permissions relating to the original source, rather than your computer. Have a look at the properties / security settings on that file and compare them to another working file (doesn't need to be a powerpoint file - any document you can open with another programme will be fine). If you see a marked difference it may well be this rather than a virus.

What causes Powerpoint 2013 to have issues opening a presentation?

There are a few possible reasons for this issue. It could be due to a corrupt presentation file, a compatibility issue with the software version, or a problem with the computer's hardware or operating system.

How can I fix the issue of Powerpoint 2013 not opening a presentation?

The first step is to try opening the presentation in Safe Mode, which will disable any add-ins or customizations that could be causing the issue. If that doesn't work, you can try repairing the Office installation or reinstalling Powerpoint. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to troubleshoot the hardware or operating system.

Is there a way to prevent this issue from happening in the future?

To avoid this issue, it's important to regularly save your presentations and make backups in case of corruption. You can also try clearing the Powerpoint cache and keeping the software and operating system updated to the latest versions.

Can I still retrieve my presentation if it won't open in Powerpoint 2013?

If the presentation file is corrupt, it may not be possible to retrieve it. However, you can try opening it in a different software program or using a file recovery tool. If the issue is due to compatibility, you can also try opening the presentation on a different computer with a different version of Powerpoint.

Is there a way to recover unsaved changes to a presentation that won't open?

If you have auto-save enabled, Powerpoint may have saved a temporary version of your presentation. You can try searching for this file in the temporary folder on your computer. If this doesn't work, your only option may be to recreate the presentation from scratch.