How Do Piston Forces Compare in Balancing Different Masses?

In summary: The only difference I see is that the ends of the pistons are different. But that doesn't make any difference to the problem. The forces are exerted on the ends of the pistons and the masses are on the sides. In summary, the magnitudes of the forces F1, F2, and F3 required for balancing the masses shown in the figure are: F2 and F3 are both the largest, followed by F1. The area of the pistons can be assumed to be equal, and the analysis should be based on the weight of the masses being supported. The difference in the ends of the pistons does not affect the solution.
Garrant3

Homework Statement

Rank in order, from largest to smallest, the magnitudes of the forces F1, F2, and F3 required for balancing the masses shown in the figure.
There are three pictures of different kinds of pistons. In the first picture, there are four pistons: three with 500 kg masses on top, and one where F1 is pushing down. In the second, there are three pistons: two with 600 kg masses on top, and one where F2 is pushing down. In the third, there are only two pistons: one with a 600 kg mass and another with F3 pushing down.

Homework Equations

I know that Pascal's Principle is important, that when a force is applied the pressure is distributed equally throughout the fluid. The area of the pistons are all equal, or so I think I can assume because the values aren't given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that for the first picture with the 500 kg masses, F1 would just have to equal 500(9.81), right? And then that force would push up equally on the three other pistons and balance them. And then for the second two pictures it would just be 600(9.81). So F2 and F3 would both have to be the largest. I tried that though and got it wrong. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I all the surface areas (including where masses are kept) then i guess that each force must be equal to the mass he has to support!

Edit: force must be equal to the weight he has to support!

Last edited:
Garrant3 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that for the first picture with the 500 kg masses, F1 would just have to equal 500(9.81), right? And then that force would push up equally on the three other pistons and balance them. And then for the second two pictures it would just be 600(9.81). So F2 and F3 would both have to be the largest. I tried that though and got it wrong. Any suggestions?
Hi Garrant.

I agree with your analysis.

Are you sure that the areas of the pistons are the same, within anyone picture, and that the elevations of the pistons are all the same?

Thanks for the responses!
I'll try to recreate the picture to see if it helps at all. @Sammy the only values given are the masses, so it's tough to tell for sure.

Picture 1: _ __ __ __

Picture 2: _ __ __

Picture 3: _ __

The forces are being exerted on the smaller surfaces, and the masses are on the longer ones, but I don't think that would make much of a difference in my answer, would it?

Ummm ... No

Related to How Do Piston Forces Compare in Balancing Different Masses?

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force applied per unit area. In the context of pistons, pressure is the force exerted on the surface of the piston due to the gas or fluid inside the cylinder.

2. How does pressure affect the motion of pistons?

Pressure plays a crucial role in the motion of pistons. When pressure is applied to one side of the piston, it creates a force that pushes the piston in the opposite direction, causing it to move. The larger the pressure, the greater the force and the faster the piston will move.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and force in pistons?

The relationship between pressure and force in pistons is direct. As pressure increases, the force exerted on the piston also increases. This is because pressure is the result of force being applied to a smaller area, resulting in a greater force per unit area.

4. How do you calculate the pressure in a piston?

To calculate the pressure in a piston, you need to know the force being applied and the area over which it is being applied. The formula for pressure is pressure = force / area. So, if you know the force and the area of the piston, you can calculate the pressure.

5. How can pressure and force of pistons be controlled?

Pressure and force of pistons can be controlled by adjusting the amount of force applied to the piston and the size of the area over which the force is applied. This can be done by changing the amount of gas or fluid inside the cylinder, or by adjusting the size and shape of the piston or cylinder. Valves and other mechanical components can also be used to control the pressure and force in pistons.