What is the pressure at point B in a moving liquid with density ρ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure at point B in a liquid with density $$\rho$$ and a given figure. The original attempt at a solution is to calculate the pressure using the formula $$p_0+\rho g(-h_1)$$, but the correct approach is to use Bernoulli's equation and the resulting formula is $$p_0 - \rho g (h_1 + d + h_2)$$, taking into account the fluid's movement.
Bestfrog

Homework Statement

Considering the figure. The liquid has a density $$\rho$$. What is the pressure at B?
HHMiWcU

http://imgur.com/HHMiWcU
(I put the link because the image uploaded doesn't work)

The Attempt at a Solution

In a solution that I have found on internet, it is said that the pressure in B is $$p_0 - \rho g (h_1 + d+h_2 )$$. How is it possible? I thought that the pressure at B was $$p_0 + \rho g (-h_1)$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I post the photo

Attachments

• IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 385
Bestfrog said:
? I thought that the pressure at B was $$p_0 + \rho g (-h_1)$$
That would be true in a static arrangement, but the fluid is moving. Try Bernoulli's equation.

Related to What is the pressure at point B in a moving liquid with density ρ?

1. What is the highest point on Earth?

The highest point on Earth is Mount Everest, located on the border of Nepal and Tibet, with an elevation of 8,848 meters (29,029 feet).

2. How does pressure change at the highest point on Earth?

The pressure at the highest point on Earth is significantly lower than at sea level. This is due to the decrease in atmospheric mass as altitude increases, leading to a decrease in air pressure.

3. What is the relationship between altitude and pressure?

The higher the altitude, the lower the pressure. This is because as altitude increases, there is less air above pushing down, resulting in a decrease in atmospheric pressure.

4. How does the lack of pressure at high altitudes affect the human body?

The lack of pressure at high altitudes can cause altitude sickness, as the body needs time to acclimate to the decrease in oxygen and pressure. This can lead to symptoms such as headaches, nausea, and dizziness.

5. Can pressure be measured at the highest point on Earth?

Yes, pressure can be measured at the highest point on Earth using specialized equipment such as barometers. However, the readings will be significantly lower than at sea level due to the decrease in atmospheric pressure.