Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure Change In Pipes

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1
    How does change in pipe diameter affect pressure? For example, ethylene in a 6" pipe at 400 psi, enters a 1" pipe. How does the pressure change?

I am fairly sure that pressure decreases and velocity increases. However, I need to know how pressure decreases? At what rate? Is it linear?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2
    I should point out, I do know how to calculate pressure loss across the length of a pipe. That is not what I am interested in.

4. Jan 12, 2016 #3

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Pipe friction is termed major losses, pressure drop due to fittings like valves, tees, or in your case a reducer (specifically a 6" to 1" reducer) are termed minor losses and are even easier to calculate. You can find an overview here:
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/minor-loss-coefficients-pipes-d_626.html
    You'll have to do some more searching to find the minor loss coefficient for your specific fitting.

5. Jan 12, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Pressure change, both due to velocity change and due to friction losses is a function of velocity. Since your starting pressure is high, if your velocity happens to be low, the pressure change may well be negligible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook