1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PRESSURE in Inflatable Material Objects

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    If you wanted to calculate the pressure on the shell of an airtight enclosed concentric or asymmetrical/symetrical object, do you simply need the surface area of the object and then divide it into the applied force?

1. So if you apply 50Newtons onto a grounded football for example,it would be.... (Force)/(4.pie.radius)>>>>surface area of the football.....??? And what if the football had an inch thick shell, would I need the surface area on the inner or outer of the shell? Correct me, but I assume its all about surface area and that shape wouldn't make a difference...

...but does thickness make a difference...?
    2. I am trying to figure out the pressure on the walls of a exhaust powered car jack, it's basically an inflatable cylinder(although when inflated it asymmetrical as it bulges). The one I am trying to design will have plates on top and bottom, so how would the variation in surface thicknesses affect the spread of pressure?

May help:

Pressure = Force/Area
    surface area of cylinder = 2.pie.r(r + h)

Thanks,
    James

Oh and have a look on google images for exhaust powered car jack if it will help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2
    You should look at the "hoop stress" as follows:

hoop stress = Internal Pressure X Cylinder Radius / wall thickness

The hoop stress is the pressure (technically stress) inside the walls of the cylinder.

For this formula to be accurate, it must be "thin walled."

wall thickness / diameter < 0.1.

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it is inflatable, then the gas laws will be part of determining the internal pressure.

5. Aug 7, 2011 #4
    Thanks edgepflow about the hoop stress. One of my teachers gave me a handout on it without me mentioning it i have started to use it even though i can't figure out why a bigger diameter = more stress, i thought the bigger the diameter the more the stress would be divided into it?? I am missing something, i know that at least.

SteamKing I bet if I was better in thermodynamics this would probably be quite an easy question, but I have too much to learn about that so i wanted to keep it as close to
    P = F/A as possible im afraid :( .

6. Aug 7, 2011 #5
    Oh and I used the analogy of a car tyre to help me. (Tyre Pressure = weight of car/ Tyre to ground contact point). still not sure how to divide that pressure i have found which is = 1.38 bar or 138.74Kpa or 20.12 PSI evenly amonst differing thickness of walls.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook