PRESSURE in Inflatable Material Objects

In summary, pressure is calculated by multiplying force by surface area. If the object has a thicker wall, the pressure will be higher.
recreated
If you wanted to calculate the pressure on the shell of an airtight enclosed concentric or asymmetrical/symetrical object, do you simply need the surface area of the object and then divide it into the applied force?

1. So if you apply 50Newtons onto a grounded football for example,it would be... (Force)/(4.pie.radius)>>>>surface area of the football...? And what if the football had an inch thick shell, would I need the surface area on the inner or outer of the shell? Correct me, but I assume its all about surface area and that shape wouldn't make a difference...

...but does thickness make a difference...?
2. I am trying to figure out the pressure on the walls of a exhaust powered car jack, it's basically an inflatable cylinder(although when inflated it asymmetrical as it bulges). The one I am trying to design will have plates on top and bottom, so how would the variation in surface thicknesses affect the spread of pressure?

May help:

Pressure = Force/Area
surface area of cylinder = 2.pie.r(r + h)

Thanks,
James

Oh and have a look on google images for exhaust powered car jack if it will help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should look at the "hoop stress" as follows:

hoop stress = Internal Pressure X Cylinder Radius / wall thickness

The hoop stress is the pressure (technically stress) inside the walls of the cylinder.

For this formula to be accurate, it must be "thin walled."

wall thickness / diameter < 0.1.

If it is inflatable, then the gas laws will be part of determining the internal pressure.

Thanks edgepflow about the hoop stress. One of my teachers gave me a handout on it without me mentioning it i have started to use it even though i can't figure out why a bigger diameter = more stress, i thought the bigger the diameter the more the stress would be divided into it?? I am missing something, i know that at least.

SteamKing I bet if I was better in thermodynamics this would probably be quite an easy question, but I have too much to learn about that so i wanted to keep it as close to
P = F/A as possible I am afraid :( .

Oh and I used the analogy of a car tyre to help me. (Tyre Pressure = weight of car/ Tyre to ground contact point). still not sure how to divide that pressure i have found which is = 1.38 bar or 138.74Kpa or 20.12 PSI evenly amonst differing thickness of walls.

1. How does pressure affect inflatable material objects?

The pressure inside an inflatable material object determines its firmness and stability. If the pressure is too low, the object may not hold its shape and may feel unstable. On the other hand, if the pressure is too high, it can cause the material to stretch and may also lead to bursting. Therefore, it is important to maintain the correct pressure for optimal performance and safety.

2. What is the ideal pressure for inflatable material objects?

The ideal pressure for inflatable material objects can vary depending on the type of material and its intended use. Generally, the recommended pressure ranges from 2-5 psi for inflatable toys and up to 15 psi for inflatable boats. It is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions or do some research to determine the ideal pressure for a specific object.

3. How can I measure the pressure in inflatable material objects?

The most accurate way to measure the pressure in inflatable material objects is by using a pressure gauge specifically designed for this purpose. These gauges can be found at most sports stores or online. Simply attach the gauge to the valve of the object and read the pressure. It is important to regularly check the pressure to ensure it is within the recommended range.

4. Can the pressure in inflatable material objects change with temperature?

Yes, the pressure in inflatable material objects can change with temperature. As the temperature increases, the air molecules inside the object gain energy and move faster, causing them to exert more pressure on the walls of the object. This can lead to an increase in pressure. Similarly, as the temperature decreases, the pressure may decrease as well. It is important to keep this in mind when using inflatable objects in varying temperatures.

5. How can I adjust the pressure in inflatable material objects?

The pressure in inflatable material objects can be adjusted by adding or releasing air through the valve. To increase the pressure, use a pump to add more air. To decrease the pressure, simply remove air by pressing on the valve or using a pump with a release valve. It is important to make small adjustments and regularly check the pressure to avoid over-inflating or deflating the object.