1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure in U-tube

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two liquids A and B of densities 1.0 g cm-3 and 0.8 g cm-3 are poured into an U-tube as shown in the figure below. Find x !

untitled.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]P = \rho g h[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is it possible liquid A is on top of liquid B because A has higher density than B?

Or do I misinterpret the question? Is it possible the question means density of A is 0.8 g cm-3 and B is 1.0 g cm-3 because there is no word "respectively" ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sure, why not? Look at the diagram. Note that the height of liquid A is less than that of liquid B. There's a reason for that!

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The statement looks correct, A is more dense than B. At the line PQ the pressure is the same. So more height of liquid above point P is needed to maintain the pressure the same as at point A.

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4
    Hi Doc Al and kuruman

Oh so it's possible that liquid with higher density is on top of liquid with lower density. I always think it's impossible.

I get it now. Thanks a lot Doc Al and kuruman ^^

6. Aug 25, 2009 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Just imagine an iron piston pressing down on water in the U-tube and you'll see why it's possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook