Pressure in Water Pipe at h=4ft: Solve the Puzzle

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoeS4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thermodynamics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
JoeS4
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
A tube can be inserted into the top of a pipe transporting liquids, providing the pressure is relatively low, so that the liquid fills the tube at height h. Determine the pressure in a water pipe if the water seeks a level at height h=4ft above the center of the pipe.

I'm asking you guys if there is a definite answer to this problem. There seems to be insufficient information such as the diameter of the pipe. Plus, is the pipe horizontal or vertical? I'm guessing horizontal due to it "transporting liquids".

Would the answer just be a simplified version of the formula incorporating the 4ft? If not, what am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

I'm not looking for an answer, just a clarification.
 
Since there's no diameter of a pipe given or any other specific information, you could assume that it's just an open volume at rest where the pressure is given by P = rho*g*h. To get an actual number value, you'd have to assume it's on Earth and the desity is that of water at 1atm. However, I'm assuimg it's hinting at fluid statics since it states that a tube can be inserted into another one and it increases the level of water, but it does state "transporting", which suggests dynamic movement.

Example aside, it's just asking for an explanation like that. State the relationship and assumptions to be made. It's just getting you to think about the situation. In other words, what will I need to solve this problem.
 
Last edited: