Pressure in Water Pipe at h=4ft: Solve the Puzzle

In summary, the conversation is discussing the determination of pressure in a water pipe when the water reaches a height of 4ft above the center of the pipe. The information provided is insufficient to solve the problem, as the diameter and orientation of the pipe are not specified. A possible approach is to use the formula P = rho*g*h and make assumptions about the density and location of the pipe. However, it is also suggested that the problem may involve fluid statics and require further consideration. Overall, the conversation is aimed at encouraging critical thinking and identifying the necessary information to solve the problem.
JoeS4
A tube can be inserted into the top of a pipe transporting liquids, providing the pressure is relatively low, so that the liquid fills the tube at height h. Determine the pressure in a water pipe if the water seeks a level at height h=4ft above the center of the pipe.

I'm asking you guys if there is a definite answer to this problem. There seems to be insufficient information such as the diameter of the pipe. Plus, is the pipe horizontal or vertical? I'm guessing horizontal due to it "transporting liquids".

Would the answer just be a simplified version of the formula incorporating the 4ft? If not, what am I missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anybody?

I'm not looking for an answer, just a clarification.

Since there's no diameter of a pipe given or any other specific information, you could assume that it's just an open volume at rest where the pressure is given by P = rho*g*h. To get an actual number value, you'd have to assume it's on Earth and the desity is that of water at 1atm. However, I'm assuimg it's hinting at fluid statics since it states that a tube can be inserted into another one and it increases the level of water, but it does state "transporting", which suggests dynamic movement.

Example aside, it's just asking for an explanation like that. State the relationship and assumptions to be made. It's just getting you to think about the situation. In other words, what will I need to solve this problem.

Last edited:

Related to Pressure in Water Pipe at h=4ft: Solve the Puzzle

1. What is the significance of pressure in a water pipe at a height of 4 feet?

The pressure in a water pipe at a certain height is important because it determines the flow rate of the water. In this case, the height of 4 feet is the driving force for the movement of water through the pipe.

2. How is pressure calculated in a water pipe at h=4ft?

The pressure in a water pipe at a certain height can be calculated using the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. In this case, the height is 4 feet.

3. What factors affect the pressure in a water pipe at h=4ft?

The pressure in a water pipe at a certain height is affected by several factors such as the diameter of the pipe, the velocity of the water, the temperature, and the type of fluid being transported. These factors can impact the flow rate and the overall pressure in the pipe.

4. How does the pressure change as the height of the water pipe increases?

As the height of the water pipe increases, the pressure also increases. This is because the higher the pipe, the greater the gravitational force acting on the water, resulting in a higher pressure. This is why water towers are typically built at higher elevations to increase water pressure.

5. How is pressure in a water pipe at h=4ft related to the water flow rate?

The pressure in a water pipe at a certain height is directly related to the water flow rate. As the pressure increases, the flow rate also increases. This is because a higher pressure creates a greater driving force for the water to move through the pipe. Conversely, a decrease in pressure would result in a decrease in flow rate.