Pressure Loss in Transmission Line: Analyzing Reducing Union, Filter & L Pipe

In summary, the pressure loss in transmission line due to fittings is minor, while the pressure loss in pipe work due to friction is generally found via the Darcy-Weisbach equation. To determine the oscillation frequency of a fluid in contact with a pressure diaphragm, one must first calculate the velocities.
can12345

Homework Statement

I would like to define pressure loses through transmission line to the transducer. In transmission line I have a reducing union, filter and L pipe. How I can find this differences?

In case of frequency my reducing union reduce pipe diameter 6 mm to 3 mm how i can determine my frequency by these two diameter value?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give more information?
What frequency are you reffering to?

Pressure loss in pipe work due to friction ('major losses') is generally found via:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy–Weisbach_equation

Pressure loss due to fittings are 'minor losses', the coefficicnt for your fittings may be found in their datasheets or from general tables:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/minor-pressure-loss-ducts-pipes-d_624.html
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/minor-loss-coefficients-pipes-d_626.html

If this is just a dead end line to a pressure gauge then there is no flow and the pressure loss is zero.

I actually try to define the pressure loss through diaphragm. When turbulent flow is acting to pressure diaphragm, there is two situation. First of all the diaphragm is always under oscillation. This is the reason why I want to separate the problem into 2 section. First of all when fluid is coming and crushing with diaphragm and extending it, the deflection rate is so small but when it goes back it makes back flow. and velocities are really small I guess, but my advisor wants me to know it. If its negligible still he wants me to find why it is negligible. Boundary conditions are min deflection and maximum deflection.

The exactly question is actually to check whether pressure loses are negligible in unsteady (turbulent, oscilation) conditions.

can12345 said:
First of all when fluid is coming and crushing with diaphragm and extending it, the deflection rate is so small but when it goes back it makes back flow. and velocities are really small I guess, but my advisor wants me to know it.
Why not calculate the velocities rather than guessing? A raw feed from the transducer should show the oscillation frequency.
What literature have you found on the topic? This is an old problem, it's why gauges are liquid filled, probably since their invention. I'm sure research has been done in the area.

How I can determine this velocity? Can you give equation or help please?

calculate a flow rate from swept volume & frequency.

billy_joule said:
What literature have you found on the topic?

1. What is pressure loss in a transmission line?

Pressure loss in a transmission line is the decrease in pressure that occurs as a fluid moves through a pipe or channel. This can be caused by friction between the fluid and the inner walls of the pipe, changes in elevation, or restrictions in the flow path.

2. How is pressure loss calculated in a reducing union, filter, and L pipe?

Pressure loss in a reducing union, filter, and L pipe can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as the fluid velocity, pipe diameter, and roughness of the pipe walls. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using pressure loss charts specific to the type of fitting and the fluid being transported.

3. What factors can affect pressure loss in a transmission line?

Several factors can affect pressure loss in a transmission line, including the type of fluid being transported, the flow rate, the diameter and length of the pipe, the roughness of the pipe walls, and the presence of any fittings or restrictions in the flow path.

4. Why is it important to analyze pressure loss in a transmission line?

Analyzing pressure loss in a transmission line is important because it allows engineers to determine the efficiency of the system and identify any potential issues that may arise. It also helps in selecting the appropriate piping and fittings to minimize pressure loss and optimize the performance of the system.

5. How can pressure loss be reduced in a transmission line?

Pressure loss in a transmission line can be reduced by increasing the pipe diameter, minimizing the length of the pipe, using smoother pipe materials, and avoiding unnecessary bends or fittings. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning of the system can also help to reduce pressure loss over time.