Pressure standing wave pattern, change cross sectional area

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with two parts involving nodes and antinodes. The equation for a standing wave is mentioned and the attempt at a solution includes a request for hints. The discussion also touches on the formulas for reflection and transmission coefficients, with examples of how they work in different scenarios.
snickersnee

Homework Statement

See pictures. There are 2 parts to the problem but I can probably figure out the second part once I get the first part. [/B]

upload_2015-10-12_17-28-9.png

upload_2015-10-12_17-47-4.png

Homework Equations

Antinodes (minimum pressure) at
upload_2015-10-12_17-43-56.png

Nodes (maximum pressure) at
upload_2015-10-12_17-44-53.png
[/B]

Equation for a standing wave:
upload_2015-10-12_17-46-30.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Other than what I've written above, and that it's sinusoidal, not sure what the problem is looking for here. Any hints would be highly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are asking you to show where nodes and antinodes form. For example you normally get an antinode at the open end of a tube. However I'm not sure what you get at the transition between the two tubes. I never studied that.

CWatters said:
I think they are asking you to show where nodes and antinodes form. For example you normally get an antinode at the open end of a tube. However I'm not sure what you get at the transition between the two tubes. I never studied that.
Hi thanks for responding. Here are the formulas for the reflection and transmission coefficients:

upload_2015-10-15_14-40-36.png

upload_2015-10-15_14-40-53.png

where S1, S2 are cross sectional areas.

R=1 if S2<<S1, a sudden strong area contraction almost acts as a rigid wall.

R=-1 if S2>>S1, in this case the junction acts almost as a pressure-release surface.

What is a pressure standing wave pattern?

A pressure standing wave pattern is a wave pattern that occurs when two waves of equal amplitude and frequency traveling in opposite directions interfere with each other. This results in a stationary wave that appears to be standing still, with nodes and antinodes at fixed points.

How is the pressure standing wave pattern affected by changes in cross sectional area?

Changes in cross sectional area can affect the pressure standing wave pattern by altering the wavelength and frequency of the wave. As the cross sectional area increases, the wavelength decreases, resulting in an increase in the frequency of the wave. This can also lead to changes in the locations of the nodes and antinodes.

What is the relationship between pressure and amplitude in a standing wave?

In a standing wave, the amplitude is directly proportional to the pressure. This means that as the amplitude increases, the pressure also increases. However, this relationship is not always linear and can vary depending on the specific conditions of the standing wave.

Can the pressure standing wave pattern be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the pressure standing wave pattern can be observed in various phenomena in everyday life, such as vibrating strings on musical instruments, sound waves in pipes, and even ocean waves. It is a common occurrence in many natural and man-made systems.

How can the pressure standing wave pattern be manipulated or controlled?

The pressure standing wave pattern can be manipulated or controlled by adjusting the frequency, amplitude, and cross sectional area of the waves. This can be done by changing the properties of the medium through which the waves are traveling, such as the tension in a string or the dimensions of a pipe. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect the standing wave pattern.