Pressurized Line and Rigid Tank Probem

• Thread starter cwill53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Tank
In summary, the professor told me to use the equation given by $$E_{cv}(t+\Delta t)-E_{cv}(t)=Q-W+m_i(u_i+\frac{V_i^2}{2}+gz_i)-m_e(u_e+\frac{V_e^2}{2}+gz_e)$$
cwill53
Homework Statement
Using a pressurized line, a fluid is charged in a rigid tank with volume ##2m^3##. Derive the expression and calculate:
1. The internal energy ##u_t## of the fluid in that tank supposing the initial mass is ##m_0=0## , and specific enthalpy ##h_i = 1670 kJ/kg.##
2. Assuming a fluid is an ideal gas, derive and calculate the tank temperature using the specific heat ratio of k = 1.67 and the initial temperature of ##T_i=400 ^{\circ}C##
3. Assuming a fluid obeys ideal gas law and a flow is choked derive and calculate the tank pressure as a function of time using ##\dot{m}=0.5kg/s,t=2s,k=1.67, T_i=400^{\circ}C##
Assume that charging occurs over a short period of time.
Relevant Equations
$$pV\propto RT$$
$$H=U+pV$$
$$dU=\delta Q-\delta W$$
I'm stuck on part 1 at the moment. What I had so far was
1606413618600.png

1606413595713.png

1606413732191.png

Using the ideal gas model, we have
1606413749132.png

1606413782826.png

Solving these equations is reliant on the molar mass μ of the substance or the pressure p in the tank, which I don't know how to find with the given information. I sent an email to my professor and he told me to start with the first law of thermodynamics, cancel out appropriate terms and then use mass conservation taking into account that initial mass is zero. I'm not sure how to solve for the specific internal energy if that's the case. This system is isochoric if I'm not mistaken, does this mean the specific internal energy is equal to the initial specific enthalpy ##h_i=1670kJ/kg## or am I over thinking this and the specific internal energy ##u_t## is actually zero because the initial mass is zero?

Attachments

• 1606413565317.png
    1606413565317.png
    731 bytes · Views: 149
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a problem in the application of the open system (control volume) version of the first law of thermodynamics. In part 1. the are asking, not for the specific internal energy of the tank contents, but the overall internal energy. The used the lower case symbol ##u_t## for the internal energy, which is confusing because lower case symbols are usually reserved for specific quantities. But certainly, if they really meant overall internal energy, it is clearly equal to 0.

Do you know the equation for the open system version of the first law of thermodynamics and how to apply it to this problem?

In part 2, they call the initial temperature 400 C, but I think they mean by this the temperature of the gas in the pressurized line.

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
This is a problem in the application of the open system (control volume) version of the first law of thermodynamics. In part 1. the are asking, not for the specific internal energy of the tank contents, but the overall internal energy. The used the lower case symbol ##u_t## for the internal energy, which is confusing because lower case symbols are usually reserved for specific quantities. But certainly, if they really meant overall internal energy, it is clearly equal to 0.

Do you know the equation for the open system version of the first law of thermodynamics and how to apply it to this problem?

In part 2, they call the initial temperature 400 C, but I think they mean by this the temperature of the gas in the pressurized line.
Would I have to use the energy rate balance given by
$$\frac{dE_{cv}}{dt}=\dot{Q}_{cv}-\dot{W}_{cv}+\sum_{i}\dot{m}_i(h_i+\frac{V_i^2}{2}+gz_i)-\sum_{e}\dot{m}_e(h_e+\frac{V_e^2}{2}+gz_e)$$

I suppose I should use the one given by
$$\frac{dE_{cv}}{dt}=\dot{Q}-\dot{W}+\sum_{i}\dot{m}_i(u_i+\frac{V_i^2}{2}+gz_i)-\sum_{e}\dot{m}_e(u_e+\frac{V_e^2}{2}+gz_e)$$

and ignore the kinetic and potential energy effects. I should also ignore the ##\dot{m}_e## term.

Or maybe I should use the equation given by
$$E_{cv}(t+\Delta t)-E_{cv}(t)=Q-W+m_i(u_i+\frac{V_i^2}{2}+gz_i)-m_e(u_e+\frac{V_e^2}{2}+gz_e)$$

@Chestermiller I don't really understand how to solve part 2 if I don't know the molar mass of the gas.

Last edited:
What happened to the h's in your original equation. They should not have changed to u's. Starting with your original equation, and neglecting kinetic energy and potential energy changes, your equation reduces to $$\frac{dU_{cv}}{dt}=\dot{Q}_{cv}-\dot{W}_{cv}+\sum_{i}\dot{m}_ih_i-\sum_{e}\dot{m}_eh_e$$Since the tank is rigid and now shaft work is being done, ##\dot{W}_{cv}=0## and since the tank and inlet are assumed insulated, ##\dot{Q}=0##. In addition, the is no mass exiting the tank, but only a single mass stream entering. Therefore, the equation reduces to $$\frac{dU_{cv}}{dt}=\dot{m}_ih_i$$What to you get if you integrate this equation from time t = 0 to arbitrary time t, given that ##\frac{dm}{dt}=\dot{m_i}##?

Last edited:
Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
What happened to the h's in your original equation. They should not have changed to u's. Starting with your original equation, and neglecting kinetic energy and potential energy changes, your equation reduces to $$\frac{dU_{cv}}{dt}=\dot{Q}_{cv}-\dot{W}_{cv}+\sum_{i}\dot{m}_ih_i-\sum_{e}\dot{m}_eh_e$$Since the tank is rigid and now shaft work is being done, ##\dot{W}_{cv}=0## and since the tank and inlet are assumed insulated, ##\dot{Q}=0##. In addition, the is no mass exiting the tank, but only a single mass stream entering. Therefore, the equation reduces to $$\frac{dU_{cv}}{dt}=\dot{m}_ih_i$$What to you get if you integrate this equation from time t = 0 to arbitrary time t, given that ##\frac{dm}{dt}=\dot{m_i}##?

I ended up getting

JJpXOt3vwDUPXwIslORZPM9AFEJC8ZeiVBzm2us1XlBo8EpXQy.png

$$U_{cv}(2s)=\left ( 1670\frac{kJ}{kg} \right )\left ( 0.5\frac{kg}{s} \right )(2s)= 1670\frac{kJ}{kg} $$

cwill53 said:
I ended up getting

View attachment 273264
$$U_{cv}(2s)=\left ( 1670\frac{kJ}{kg} \right )\left ( 0.5\frac{kg}{s} \right )(2s)= 1670\frac{kJ}{kg} $$
I get $$U_{cv}=mu=mh_{in}$$or$$u=h_{in}$$independent of t, where u is the specific internal energy of the gas within the control volume.

Based on this, what do you get in part 2?

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
I get $$U_{cv}=mu=mh_{in}$$or$$u=h_{in}$$independent of t, where u is the specific internal energy of the gas within the control volume.

Based on this, what do you get in part 2?
I'm not sure how to approach this part of the problem.

cwill53 said:
I'm not sure how to approach this part of the problem.
Suppose I rewrote this as $$u=u_{in}+P_{in}v_{in}$$ or $$u-u_{in}=RT_{in}$$

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
Suppose I rewrote this as $$u=u_{in}+P_{in}v_{in}$$ or $$u-u_{in}=RT_{in}$$
This makes sense, but how do I know which specific gas constant to use if I don't know the molar mass of the gas? Or is the temperature zero?

cwill53 said:
This makes sense, but how do I know which specific gas constant to use if I don't know the molar mass of the gas?
This also works for moles.

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
This also works for moles.
Is there a difference between ##u## and ##u_{in}##?

cwill53 said:
Is there a difference between ##u## and ##u_{in}##?
u is at T and uin is at Tin

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
u is at T and uin is at Tin
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand how I can solve the equation without knowing the molar mass of this gas, if ##R=\frac{\bar{R}}{\mu }##.

$$C_v(T-T_{in})=RT_{in}$$where Cv is the molar heat capacity at constant volume and R is the universal gas constant.

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
$$C_v(T-T_{in})=RT_{in}$$where Cv is the molar heat capacity at constant volume and R is the universal gas constant.
What is u(T) and h(T)? I have
$$u(T)-u(T_{i})=c_v(T-T_i)=RT_i$$
$$h(T)-h(T_i)=c_p(T-T_i)=RT_i+R(T-T_i)$$

cwill53 said:
What is u(T) and h(T)? I have
$$u(T)-u(T_{i})=c_v(T-T_i)=RT_i$$
$$h(T)-h(T_i)=c_p(T-T_i)=RT_i+R(T-T_i)$$
I don’t understand what you are asking. Just solve for T . u(T) is the molar internal energy and h(T) is the molar enthalpy of the tank contents.

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
I don’t understand what you are asking. Just solve for T .

We only have information on ##u(T_i)## and ##h(T_i)## right? I don't understand how to solve this without knowing ##u(T)## and ##h(T)##.

Are you saying you don't know how to solve this equation
$$C_v(T-T_i)=RT_i$$ for T?

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
Are you saying you don't know how to solve this equation
$$C_v(T-T_i)=RT_i$$ for T?
I know how to solve it, but I don't know the values for each variable. We have ##c_v## but I don't know the numerical value of it. All I know is that k=1.67.

cwill53 said:
I know how to solve it, but I don't know the values for each variable. We have ##c_v## but I don't know the numerical value of it. All I know is that k=1.67.
How is Cp related to Cv, and what is the definition of k?

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
How is Cp related to Cv, and what is the definition of k?
$$k=\frac{c_p}{c_v};c_p=c_v+R$$

I see now that
$$T=(1+\frac{R}{c_v})T_i=kT_i$$

@Chestermiller I'm struggling to solve the third part.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller
@Chestermiller For part 3, I keep going in circles trying to figure out a numerical value of R.

We have
$$k=\frac{c_p}{c_v}=1.67$$
$$R=0.67c_v\Leftrightarrow 1.4925R=c_v$$
$$0.401197c_p=R\Leftrightarrow 2.49254R= c_p$$
Using the ideal gas equation, I wrote
$$pV=\dot{m}tR(kT_i)=m(t)R(1124.1605K)$$

cwill53 said:
@Chestermiller For part 3, I keep going in circles trying to figure out a numerical value of R.

We have
$$k=\frac{c_p}{c_v}=1.67$$
$$R=0.67c_v\Leftrightarrow 1.4925R=c_v$$
$$0.401197c_p=R\Leftrightarrow 2.49254R= c_p$$
Using the ideal gas equation, I wrote
$$pV=\dot{m}tR(kT_i)=m(t)R(1124.1605K)$$
R = 8.314 J/mole-K

Chestermiller said:
R = 8.314 J/mole-K
This is what I ended up writing, going from the last part of the problem, and substituting to find the temperature.
Substituting, we have:
kRcCX8amuNQ0Poou-JpbL63eRcJfcNAPXP3gqHpjpsbKaxBU2O.png

For part 3, we have to find the tank pressure as a function of time using the ideal gas equation of state,
gGAhG5-GozeGoaKbDYM1dIRDdzK6k76oNYwhw7w3mY5jJ1QK78.png

where the specific gas constant R is defined as, with μ being the molar mass of the gas,
KdcHp-CXiqSR-NtyYdPfdSTfNNCpTKk84eNmsXRv3Y3L54oYKB.png

Using the available information, we can write the ideal gas law for this problem as
PTDkCBdgbLZoqtI_Ptsv5_MLVFdih8U4E-9FZBXosXFWEfvh76.png

From the definition of heat capacity at constant pressure and specific heat capacity at constant pressure, we have
JB7li1F1r_cIBEwphPtLjkoBkKdnePGf0e_47cEnot5mUWKzQy.png
K_tp36I_wgU8XUut86GaGfaoIkd-aXxi9d-0ZONAFcMuxoylDn.png

For an ideal gas, specific heat capacity is a function of temperature alone, that is
IAszrgKLK55x_SrAjxHt4Uy464wHYPVHs3ZWkiCw0mAHEYjFyS.png

for an ideal gas. After separating variables, we can obtain infinitesimal and finite difference forms of this equation:
vqe2WS8XxaDOox0cO5Wl_x0FL-9cPTMpXnZ_v6Um3OAwt98Ap-.png

BUuH1g_Z-pzlS0nFXvr7aYG5ECC0s3G2o_l3mWY-Poct3zVP4I.png

ChaDCK5kgHJMVhtA83awai7F7puky8gz9GxOej2p_B71VcrEHQ.png

From this, we can get a numerical value of cp(T), assuming that h(T)-h(Ti)=1670 kJ/kg:
fBBqkUba2ALztukIBHI-zSYDdpXdp3GkcLdyWDlgAKPO-B_eZu.png

Using this we can attempt to get a numerical value for the specific gas constant R. Remembering the definition of specific heat capacity at constant pressure cp(T) = cv(T)+R, we have
DXZV72OdkNPFTS79tyI0vqWebTDqUrugQYyLVVL8D3cjOxAMRD.png

Solving numerically for R, we have

frS8onOLmZ78grcw_t8PhKA4FeUL580VDb3PQA4RN--TV8zDJS.png

tY8TX_FuC_32kTDJA0DNCOMMrWy_zyo-8PnCSCV6F4Ov6b-x4l.png

Defining pressure p as a function of time t,
6f4dMU8FovjrJQ-Y36wOwATSyYDG_pUy5L8E4QVBPrePkoAiQR.png

we have, after rearrangement of the ideal gas equation of state,
$$P(t)=\frac{\dot{m}tRkT_i}{V}$$
At a time t of 2 seconds, we have
$$P(2s)=\frac{(0.5\frac{kg}{s})(2s)(1.4856\frac{kJ}{kg\cdot K})(1.67)(673.15K)}{2m^3}=835.026\frac{kJ}{m^3}=835.026kPa$$

I don't know whether any of this is correct. I can see that, to do the calculation for part 3, you need to know the molecular weight. However, I don't understand why you used 400 C as the reference temperature for zero enthalpy. If that is what they mean by the condition of zero enthalpy, then I get a molecular weight of 5.6 g/mole, which is non-integer and doesn't make sense.

Chestermiller said:
I don't know whether any of this is correct. I can see that, to do the calculation for part 3, you need to know the molecular weight. However, I don't understand why you used 400 C as the reference temperature for zero enthalpy. If that is what they mean by the condition of zero enthalpy, then I get a molecular weight of 5.6 g/mole, which is non-integer and doesn't make sense.
I ended up revising my answer and assuming that the specific heats do not vary over this temperature range as these are ideal gases. Doing this I assumed that

$$h_i=c_p(T)T_i$$
and got a molar mass of ##8.55\frac{kg}{kmol}##. I honestly am clueless at this point. Maybe it's an imaginary substance lol. Lithium hydride is not a gas. Hydrogen and helium can't bond with each other. Helium doesn't form diatomic molecules. Hydrogen doesn't form octoatomic configurations on its own. So I don't know ; )

The value of k indicates a monoatomic gas, but the MW of helium is 4 and the MW of neon is 20.

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
The value of k indicates a monoatomic gas, but the MW of helium is 4 and the MW of neon is 20.
The gas must certainly be made up then.

1. What is the Pressurized Line and Rigid Tank Problem?

The Pressurized Line and Rigid Tank Problem is a common engineering problem that involves determining the pressure and volume of a fluid inside a rigid tank connected to a pressurized line. It is often used in the design and analysis of hydraulic and pneumatic systems.

2. What are the key assumptions made in solving this problem?

The key assumptions made in solving the Pressurized Line and Rigid Tank Problem include:

• The fluid is incompressible
  • The tank is rigid and does not deform
  • The fluid is at a constant temperature
  • The flow is steady and there are no energy losses
  • The fluid properties are constant

3. How is the Pressurized Line and Rigid Tank Problem solved?

The problem is typically solved using the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid at different points in a system. The equation is then applied at the inlet and outlet of the tank to determine the pressure and volume of the fluid inside the tank.

4. What are some practical applications of this problem?

The Pressurized Line and Rigid Tank Problem is commonly encountered in various engineering fields, such as aerospace, automotive, and hydraulic systems. It is used in the design and analysis of fuel tanks, hydraulic systems, and pneumatic systems.

5. What are some challenges in solving this problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Pressurized Line and Rigid Tank Problem is accurately accounting for energy losses in the system due to friction and other factors. This can affect the accuracy of the calculated pressure and volume values. Additionally, the problem can become more complex when dealing with non-ideal fluids or when considering transient flow conditions.