Prime Number Series Convergence to p-adic Convergence | Homework Help"

• Thread starter MidnightR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, prime number series convergence refers to the behavior of a series of prime numbers as they approach a limit. P-adic convergence is a specific type of convergence that is used to study this behavior in a certain metric space. Studying prime number series convergence is important for understanding the properties of prime numbers and has applications in cryptography. Examples of p-adic convergence include the p-adic valuation and absolute value. This concept is used in various areas of mathematics, including number theory and algebraic geometry.
MidnightR

Homework Statement

Let p be a prime number. Which of the following series converge p-adically? Justify your answers: (all sums are from n = 0 to infinity)

(i) Ʃp^n
(ii) Ʃp^-n
(iii) Ʃn!
(iv) Ʃ (2n)! / n!
(v) Ʃ (2n)! / (n!)^2

Homework Equations

The definition given for p-adic convergence is the following:

Ʃx_n converges p-adically iff U_p(x_n) → ∞

Here we define U_p (n) = max { a : p^a | n }

The Attempt at a Solution

1. is easy since U_p (p^n) = nU_p(p) = n -> inf
2. if it tends to -inf then is it p-adically convergent based on the above?
3-5. I am completely lost. To be honest I really just need some examples, but I am barely able to find anything regarding this subject on the internet. Why is that? Can anyone explain how to do (iii) for instance?

The lecturer explained how to find the identity U_p (n!) ≤ n/(p-1) but that doesn't really help me here, if x is less than y and y -> infinity, this does not imply x-> infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you with understanding p-adic convergence of series. Let me first explain the definition of p-adic convergence and then apply it to the given series.

The definition of p-adic convergence states that a series Ʃx_n converges p-adically if and only if the maximum power of p that divides each term x_n goes to infinity as n goes to infinity. In other words, the terms of the series must become increasingly divisible by higher powers of p in order for the series to converge p-adically.

Now, let's apply this definition to the given series:
(i) Ʃp^n: This series clearly satisfies the definition of p-adic convergence since U_p(p^n) = nU_p(p) = n -> inf as n -> inf.
(ii) Ʃp^-n: This series does not satisfy the definition of p-adic convergence since U_p(p^-n) = -nU_p(p) = -n -> -inf as n -> inf, which means the maximum power of p that divides the terms is going to negative infinity, not positive infinity.
(iii) Ʃn!: This series does not converge p-adically since U_p(n!) is bounded by n/(p-1) which does not go to infinity as n goes to infinity. This is because the maximum power of p that divides n! is limited by the number of prime factors of p in n, which cannot exceed n/(p-1).
(iv) Ʃ (2n)! / n!: This series converges p-adically since U_p((2n)! / n!) = U_p((2n)!)-U_p(n!) = 2U_p(n)-U_p(n) = U_p(n) -> inf as n -> inf.
(v) Ʃ (2n)! / (n!)^2: This series also converges p-adically since U_p((2n)! / (n!)^2) = U_p((2n)!)-2U_p(n!) = 2U_p(n)-2U_p(n) = 0, which goes to infinity as n goes to infinity.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of p-adic convergence and how it applies to the given series. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Best regards

Related to Prime Number Series Convergence to p-adic Convergence | Homework Help"

What is a prime number series convergence?

A prime number series convergence refers to the behavior of a series of prime numbers as they approach a limit or converge to a specific value. This concept is studied in mathematics and is important in understanding the properties of prime numbers.

What is p-adic convergence?

P-adic convergence is a type of convergence in which a sequence of numbers is considered to be convergent if it approaches a limit within a specific p-adic metric space. This concept is used in number theory and is closely related to the concept of prime number series convergence.

What is the significance of studying prime number series convergence?

Studying prime number series convergence allows us to better understand the distribution and properties of prime numbers. It also has applications in cryptography, where the convergence of prime numbers is important for ensuring the security of encryption algorithms.

What are some examples of p-adic convergence?

One example of p-adic convergence is the p-adic valuation, which is a measure of how divisible a number is by a prime number. Another example is the p-adic absolute value, which is a way of measuring the distance between numbers within a specific p-adic metric space.

How is p-adic convergence used in mathematics?

P-adic convergence is used in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and representation theory. It has also been applied in other fields such as physics and computer science. In number theory, p-adic convergence is used to study the behavior of prime numbers and their relationships with other types of numbers.