Diagnosing HIV: Assessing Probability with a Test

In summary, the probability that a person who takes the HIV test will be diagnosed with the virus is 0.95.
chrisyuen

Homework Statement

A diagnostic test is used to detect the HIV virus. It is known that 2% of the people in a city have the virus. Extensive research on the diagnostic test reveals that its results are correct 95% of the time. In other words, whether or not an individual has the HIV virus, the probability that the test gives a correct diagnosis is 0.95.

(a) A person took the test and was diagnosed to have the HIV virus. What is the probability that he actually did not have the virus?

(b) Three persons took the test and were all diagnosed to have the HIV virus. What is the probability that at least two of them have the virus.

(Answers:
(a) 0.7206
(b) 0.1906)

Homework Equations

Probability Formulae

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) 0.98 x 0.05 / (0.98 x 0.05 + 0.02 x 0.95) = 0.720588
(b) 1 - (0.7206)3 - 3 x (0.7206)2 x (1 - 0.7206) = 0.19057

For part (a), I don't know why the answer can be calculated from the above formula.

Can anyone explain it to me?

Tree Diagram:

B1 - HIV
B1.1 - Y
B1.2 - N
B2 - No HIV
B2.1 - Y
B2.2 - N

B : Branch; Y : Correct Diagnosis, N : Incorrect Diagnosis

In addition, may the above formula conflict with the tree diagram I drew?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chrisyuen

part a) looks like conditional probability to me, do you know the conditional probability formula?

i think your tree looks ok and the the branches match the prob you are given

if you write in the probabilities, your tree contains all the info for the conditional probability formula to get a)

chrisyuen said:

Homework Statement

A diagnostic test is used to detect the HIV virus. It is known that 2% of the people in a city have the virus. Extensive research on the diagnostic test reveals that its results are correct 95% of the time. In other words, whether or not an individual has the HIV virus, the probability that the test gives a correct diagnosis is 0.95.

(a) A person took the test and was diagnosed to have the HIV virus. What is the probability that he actually did not have the virus?
Imagine that 100000 people take the test. Since 2% of people have the virus, 2000 have the virus and 98000 do not. Of the 2000 who have the virus, 0.95(2000)= 1900 test positive. Of the 98000 who do not, 0.05(98000)= 4900 also test positive. That is, of 1900+ 4900= 6800 people who test positive, 1900 actually have the virus. 1900/6800= 0.28.

(b) Three persons took the test and were all diagnosed to have the HIV virus. What is the probability that at least two of them have the virus.

(Answers:
(a) 0.7206
(b) 0.1906)

Homework Equations

Probability Formulae

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) 0.98 x 0.05 / (0.98 x 0.05 + 0.02 x 0.95) = 0.720588
(b) 1 - (0.7206)3 - 3 x (0.7206)2 x (1 - 0.7206) = 0.19057

For part (a), I don't know why the answer can be calculated from the above formula.
It looks to me like it clearly can't be.

Can anyone explain it to me?

Tree Diagram:

B1 - HIV
B1.1 - Y
B1.2 - N
B2 - No HIV
B2.1 - Y
B2.2 - N

B : Branch; Y : Correct Diagnosis, N : Incorrect Diagnosis

In addition, may the above formula conflict with the tree diagram I drew?

Thank you very much!

Thanks lanedance & HallsofIvy!

After I read the example from HallsofIvy, I knew that I misunderstood the question before and now understand it deeply.

Thank you very much!

What is HIV?

HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) is a virus that attacks the immune system, specifically the CD4 cells (T cells) which help the body fight off infections. If left untreated, HIV can lead to AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome).

What is HIV testing?

HIV testing involves using a test to determine if a person has been infected with the virus. This can be done through blood, saliva, or urine samples.

How accurate are HIV tests?

The accuracy of HIV tests can vary depending on the type of test used. The most commonly used tests are highly accurate, with a 99.9% accuracy rate. However, it is important to note that no test is 100% accurate and there is a small chance of false positive or false negative results.

When should someone get tested for HIV?

It is recommended that everyone between the ages of 13 and 64 get tested for HIV at least once in their lifetime. Additionally, individuals who engage in high-risk behaviors such as unprotected sex or sharing needles should get tested more frequently.

What do the results of an HIV test mean?

A positive result means that the individual has been infected with HIV. However, a confirmatory test is required to confirm the diagnosis. A negative result means that the individual does not have HIV, but it is important to continue practicing safe behaviors to prevent future infection.