Probability P(A' and B') of disjoint events.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability of disjoint events, either by directly adding the individual probabilities or by using the concept of complements. It is noted that the result may differ when using the complement method due to the calculation of P(A'|B'). The conversation concludes that P(A'|B') can be found by using other methods, such as P(A'UB'), which in this case is equal to 1 since A and B are null events.
fateswarm
If we have two disjoint events then it comes to reason that P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - 0

However, if I rewrite it as 1 - P(A' and B') how is the numerical result going to be the same? (without re-writing it back as 1 - P ((A or B)')).

I assume it is 1 - P(A'|B')P(B')

But how is P(A'|B') calculated in there?

For example:

Let's assume P(A) = 0.12 and P(B) = 0.17, and we know that P(A and B) = 0 by being disjoint.

Hence P(A or B) = 0.12 + 0.17 -0 = 0.29

Now, P(A or B) = 1 - P((A or B)') =
= 1 - P(A' and B')

If I do

= 1 - P(A')P(B') = error, the result is 0.2696. It's as if the events were not disjoint obviously.

if I do

= 1 - P(A'|B')P(B')

And I know that P(B') = 1 - P(B) = 0.83

then it comes to reason that for the result to be correct

P(A'|B') must be 0.8554

Now how is that found on its own?

I currently assume that I'm not supposed to find it directly at all but go with other methods around it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wait, I think I found the secret: P(A'UB') in the calculation P(A' and B') = P(A') +P(B') - P(A'UB') is actually 1 since A and B is null hence it all results to 0.71 (1-0.12+1-0.13-1) hence 1-0.71 will net the 0.29.

Related to Probability P(A' and B') of disjoint events.

1. What is the formula for calculating the probability of disjoint events?

The formula for calculating the probability of disjoint events is P(A' and B') = P(A') x P(B').

2. How do you know if two events are disjoint?

Two events are disjoint if they have no common outcomes and cannot occur simultaneously. This means that if one event occurs, the other cannot occur at the same time.

3. Can disjoint events be independent?

Yes, disjoint events can be independent. Independence means that the occurrence of one event does not affect the probability of the other event happening. Disjoint events can be independent if they have no common outcomes.

4. What is the probability of disjoint events if one of the events has a probability of 0?

If one of the events has a probability of 0, then the probability of disjoint events is also 0. This is because if one event has a probability of 0, it means that it cannot occur, and therefore the probability of both events occurring together is also 0.

5. How do you calculate the probability of disjoint events if one event has a probability of 1?

If one event has a probability of 1, then the probability of disjoint events is equal to the probability of the other event. This is because if one event has a probability of 1, it means that it will always occur, and therefore the probability of both events occurring together is equal to the probability of the other event.