Probability semiconductor problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a random experiment involving a semiconductor wafer and the probability of contamination at a specific location on the wafer. The sample space for the number of contamination particles is given and relative frequencies are used as probabilities. Three events, A, B, and C, are defined and the number of possible events and probabilities for the complement of A and the intersection of B and C are calculated. The calculation involves finding the product, sum, sum of squares, and sum of cubes of certain probabilities.
brad sue

Homework Statement

The following is a random experiment.
A wafer from a semiconductor manufacturing is to be selected randomly and a location on the wafer inspected for contamination particles. The sample space for the number of contamination particles at the inspected location is S= {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5}.

Relative frequencies for these outcomes are 0.4, 0.2, 0.15, 0.10, 0.05 and 0.10 respectively.
Use relative as probabilities.
Let A be the event that there are no contamination particles at the inspected location.
Let B be the event that there are at most three contamination particles at the inspected location.
Let C be the event that there are an odd number of contamination particles at the inspected location.
1- How many events are possible?
2- Find the probability of the following:
-Complement (A )
-B (intersction) C

Homework Equations

Relative probability= n/N
n- number of specific events occured.
N- total number of posiible events

The Attempt at a Solution

for the number of events:
I did 2^3=8 possible event but really I have no confindence in my answer
For question 2 , I don't get it. I have formula but does nos help me much.

Can I have some help from an expert please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert, but I thought your problem was interesting and had some free time, so I tried it. here's what I got.
#1-----------------------
Each location is either contaminated or not and there are 6, so 2^6=64
#2------------------------
No contamination particles=0.6*.8*.85*.9*.95*.9
This is just the product of the complements of the probabilities.
Complement (A ) is just 1-0.6*.8*.85*.9*.95*.9

Intersection B and C=This is the sum of probabilities 1 contamination particle+3 contamination particles

First, let pro=0.6*.8*.85*.9*.95*.9 and sum=4/6+2/8+15/85+1/9+5/95+1/9 and sumsq=(4/6)^2+(2/8)^2... +(1/9)^2 and sumcu=(4/6)^3+(2/8)^3...+(1/9)^3

Probability of 1 contamination particle is:
pro*sum

Probability of 3 is a bit trickier:
pro/6*[sum^3-3*sum*sum^2+2*sum^3].

The /6 is to account for permutations. The -3*sum*sum^2 is to get rid of things such as 4/6*4/6*4/6 and 4/6*4/6*1/9, since one part cannot be contaminated twice. The +2sum^3 is because -3*sum*sum^2 over-subtracts the perfect cubes.

Thus, B intersection C =pro*sum+pro/6*[sum^3-3*sum*sum^2+2*sum^3].

----------
I haven't done combinatorics for a while, so check my answer before you take my word for it...

sphoenixee

Thank you sphoenixee,
It is a little bit tricky but I get the idea.
brad

1. What is a probability semiconductor problem?

A probability semiconductor problem is a mathematical problem that deals with the likelihood of certain events occurring in a semiconductor material. It involves using statistical methods to predict the behavior of electrons and holes in a semiconductor device.

2. What are some common applications of probability semiconductor problems?

Probability semiconductor problems are commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits. They are also important in understanding the behavior of semiconductors in optoelectronic devices, such as solar cells and LEDs.

3. How do you calculate the probability of an electron or hole in a semiconductor material?

The probability of an electron or hole in a semiconductor material can be calculated using the Fermi-Dirac distribution, which takes into account the energy levels and temperature of the material. Other methods, such as the Boltzmann transport equation, can also be used to calculate the probability of carriers in a semiconductor.

4. What factors can affect the probability of carriers in a semiconductor material?

The probability of carriers in a semiconductor material can be affected by factors such as temperature, impurities, and the physical properties of the material. The doping level, crystal structure, and defects in the material can also have an impact on carrier probability.

5. How do probability semiconductor problems relate to the real-world performance of electronic devices?

Probability semiconductor problems are essential in understanding the behavior of electronic devices in the real world. By accurately predicting carrier probabilities, engineers can design more efficient and reliable devices. These problems also help in identifying potential issues and optimizing device performance.