1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem : electric field due to line charge

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A non conducting rod of length 2.2 m carries a negative charge of 3.8 ×10^-7 spread uniformly over it's length .What is the magnitude of electric field near the mid point of the rod at a perpendicular distance 3.6 mm from the rod?

2. Relevant equations

E=λ/2πε0r
    3. The attempt at a solution
    As it has been given that we have to calculate electric field near the mid point of the rod ;we can use the formula of infinite line charge for our rod of finite length (i.e 2.2m)
    using formula
    E=λ/2πε0r
    E=2λ/ 4πε0r
    PUTTING VALUES
    =9 ×10^9 ×2 ×3.8 ×10^-7/3.6 ×10^-3
    =19 ×10^5 N/C
    but the answer should be 8.6 ×10^5 N/C
    where I am getting wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

λ is the charge per unit length on the rod, not the total charge of the rod.

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3
    But there is λ in formula not total charge.

5. Sep 16, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand what you are trying to say. As Orodruin posted, the lambda in the formula you quote represents the charge per unit length. To use the formula, you must first calculate that from the given charge and length information.

6. Sep 16, 2015 #5
    oh!yes,sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted