1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem in Chemistry

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1
    A 28.2 g sample of nickel is heated to 99.8 C and placed in a coffee cup calorimeter containing 150.0 g water at 23.5 C. As the metal cools, the final temperature of metal and water is 25 C. Calculate the specific heat capacity of nickel, assuming that no heat escapes to the surroundings or is transferred to the calorimeter.

I know that

energy relased = s * m * ∆T

So would ∆T = 25 - 23.5?

Also would the mass = 28.2 g

Finally how would you calculate the specific heat capacity of only nickel?

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

There will be a thermo equilibrium so

[tex] -Q_{nickel} = Q_{water} [/tex]

[tex] -m_{nickel}c_{nickel} (T_{final} - T_{nickel}) = m_{water}c_{water}(T_{final} - T_{water}) [/tex]

4. Jan 9, 2005 #3
    oh ok

so the specific heat of water = specific heat of nickel?

5. Jan 9, 2005 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

No, you need to work out the equation to get it.

6. Jan 9, 2005 #5
    wait what is c? aren't you supposed to use s * m * ∆T??

7. Jan 9, 2005 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

C is specific heat. I apologize for my notation, that's how i remember it from the course.

8. Jan 9, 2005 #7
    no problem. was just wondering how you received the thermal equilibrium? Like putting a - sign in front of Q(nickel)

9. Jan 9, 2005 #8

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

As i remember the - sign in thermodynamics means losing heat, and the + sign remember gaining heat, so as you can see there will be an exchange of heat energy between the nickel and the water, til they hit an equilibrium.

A more "savvy" way, i remember using was looking at the final temperature and at the initial temperature, as you can see the final temperature < initial temperature therefore the incrementum will be negative for the nickel.

10. Jan 9, 2005 #9
    hmmm got 0.93 when answer is 0.45. For ∆T of nickel and water, do you use the same final temperature 25.0 C?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  11. Jan 9, 2005 #10

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I got 0.445 j/g C, yes you do that's the whole point of thermo equilibrium.

12. Jan 9, 2005 #11
    yes i got that. thanks a lot for helping me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?