Calculating Specific Heat Capacity of Nickel with Coffee Cup Calorimeter Method

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, when heating nickel to 99.8 degrees Celsius, heat will be exchanged between the nickel and water until they reach equilibrium at 25 degrees Celsius. The specific heat of nickel is 0.93 J/g C.
courtrigrad
A 28.2 g sample of nickel is heated to 99.8 C and placed in a coffee cup calorimeter containing 150.0 g water at 23.5 C. As the metal cools, the final temperature of metal and water is 25 C. Calculate the specific heat capacity of nickel, assuming that no heat escapes to the surroundings or is transferred to the calorimeter.

I know that

energy relased = s * m * ∆T

So would ∆T = 25 - 23.5?

Also would the mass = 28.2 g

Finally how would you calculate the specific heat capacity of only nickel?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
There will be a thermo equilibrium so

[tex] -Q_{nickel} = Q_{water} [/tex]

[tex] -m_{nickel}c_{nickel} (T_{final} - T_{nickel}) = m_{water}c_{water}(T_{final} - T_{water}) [/tex]

oh ok

so the specific heat of water = specific heat of nickel?

No, you need to work out the equation to get it.

wait what is c? aren't you supposed to use s * m * ∆T??

C is specific heat. I apologize for my notation, that's how i remember it from the course.

no problem. was just wondering how you received the thermal equilibrium? Like putting a - sign in front of Q(nickel)

As i remember the - sign in thermodynamics means losing heat, and the + sign remember gaining heat, so as you can see there will be an exchange of heat energy between the nickel and the water, til they hit an equilibrium.

A more "savvy" way, i remember using was looking at the final temperature and at the initial temperature, as you can see the final temperature < initial temperature therefore the incrementum will be negative for the nickel.

hmmm got 0.93 when answer is 0.45. For ∆T of nickel and water, do you use the same final temperature 25.0 C?

Last edited:
I got 0.445 j/g C, yes you do that's the whole point of thermo equilibrium.

yes i got that. thanks a lot for helping me

1. What is the purpose of calculating specific heat capacity of nickel using the coffee cup calorimeter method?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a given amount of nickel by a certain number of degrees. This information is useful in understanding the thermal properties of nickel and can be used in various industrial processes.

2. What materials and equipment are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a coffee cup calorimeter, a thermometer, a balance, a piece of nickel, water, and a heat source. The equipment needed includes a hot plate or Bunsen burner, a beaker, and a stirring rod.

3. How is the specific heat capacity of nickel calculated using the coffee cup calorimeter method?

The specific heat capacity of nickel can be calculated using the formula: C = Q/mΔT, where C is the specific heat capacity, Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the nickel, and ΔT is the change in temperature. The heat transferred can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the water by the change in temperature, and the mass of the nickel can be determined using a balance.

4. What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of the nickel and water, and inaccurate measurement of the temperature change. It is important to minimize these sources of error to obtain accurate results.

5. How can the accuracy of the results be improved?

The accuracy of the results can be improved by using a well-insulated calorimeter to minimize heat loss, ensuring thorough mixing of the nickel and water, and carefully measuring the temperature change. It is also recommended to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results to reduce the impact of any outliers.