Problem involving two pulleys

• Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulleys
In summary: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." This is a statement about the physical laws of physics. In this statement, Newton is saying that the force that one object exerts on another object is always equal and opposite to the force that the other object exerts on the first object. In the context of this conversation, this means that if mass m1 is connected to mass m2 by means of a very light pulley P1 and a light fixed pulley P2 as shown in Figure 1, the tension in the strings of the pulley will be equal and opposite to the upward acceleration of the masses m1 and m2.
issacnewton
Mass m1 on a frictionless horizontal table is connected
to mass m2 by means of a very light pulley P1 and a light
fixed pulley P2 as shown in Figure 1. (a) If a1 and a2
are the accelerations of m1 and m2 , respectively, what is
the relationship between these accelerations? Express
(b) the tensions in the strings and (c) the accelerations
a1 and a2 in terms of the masses m1 and m2 and g.

Now I set up following equations

m[2]g - T[2] = m[2]a[2]

where a[2] is downward acceleration of m[2].

Also T[1]=m[1](a[r]+a[2])

where a[r] is acceleration of m[1] relative to P1. I have attached the Figure 1.
Now I have no idea how to proceed. I have to solve for T[1], T[2] and a[2] and
a[1]=a[r]+a[2] in terms of m[1], m[2] and g. Please help

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 556
Physics news on Phys.org
if the pulley moves with acceleration a2, and assuming that the rope connecting M1 to the wall doesn't stretch, what else can you say about a1?

can i say that a1 is 2 times a2 ?

yup, you got it

but that still doesn't help solve a1,a2 and T1 , T2 in terms of m1, m2 and g. how do i
do that ?

IssacNewton said:
but that still doesn't help solve a1,a2 and T1 , T2 in terms of m1, m2 and g. how do i
do that ?
You have got the solution http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1350/Hmwk/Ch05/Ch5.html" . Look at the example 5.2. Scroll down for the solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
method_man, i looked at the given solution. thanks for that. but i see one problem in the solution given. at one point they say
2T1=T2 at the pulley P1. But pulley P1 is accelerating to the right with acceleration a2. So how can we equate the forces
acting on it in the left direction to the forces acting on it in the right direction. If 2T1=T2 , pulley P1 would either be at rest
or move with constant velocity.

thanks

Last edited:
Yes, that's a good question. But in your problem you said that P1 is a very light pulley.
So therefore, you have two T1 forces looking left and T2 force looking right. If P1 would have some significant mass then you would have additional force which is equal to pulley mass multiplied with a1.

i think its better to let pulley P1 have some mass m3. and we can set up the equation
T2 - 2T1 = m3*a2. and then we can apply the limit that m3 tend to zero. in this way we can get the equation we want (which is T2 = 2*T1) without compromising any physics.
so the above equation is true in the limit that m3 tend to zero. i think i feel comfortable
in this way of thinking about it. actually this is what i thought when i began with the problem but then the fact that pulley P1 is nearly massless stumped me and I couldn't get around that and come up with an equation. thanks again to both of you.

Issac Newton

1. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a system with two pulleys?

To calculate the mechanical advantage of a system with two pulleys, you can use the formula: MA = 2n, where n is the number of movable pulleys in the system. For example, if you have two movable pulleys, the mechanical advantage would be 4 (2*2=4).

2. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the load being lifted. This means that a fixed pulley only changes the direction of the force, while a movable pulley also reduces the amount of force needed to lift the load.

3. How do you determine the tension in the rope for a system with two pulleys?

The tension in the rope for a system with two pulleys can be determined by using the equation: T = W/2, where T is the tension, and W is the weight of the load being lifted. This means that the tension in the rope is half of the weight of the load.

4. What is the efficiency of a system with two pulleys?

The efficiency of a system with two pulleys is dependent on the friction in the system. In an ideal system with no friction, the efficiency would be 100%. However, in real-life systems, there will always be some friction present, resulting in a lower efficiency.

5. Can two pulleys be used to lift a load heavier than the input force?

Yes, two pulleys can be used to lift a load heavier than the input force. This is possible because the weight of the load is distributed between two ropes, and the mechanical advantage of the system reduces the amount of force needed to lift the load. However, the efficiency of the system may be reduced due to the presence of friction.