1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem on the transfer of heat into different materials

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

1. The problem statement

A copper specimen, initially at 293K, is immersed in a bath of liquid salt at 773K. The bath is agitated and the heat transfer at the surface of the metal is effectively perfect. A temperature of 723K is measured at 5mm below the surface of the metal item after 3 seconds. Estimate the depth below the surface at which a temperature of 723K would be reached in 3 seconds if the specimen were made of titanium alloy.

Copper

Thermal Conductivity = 380 W m-1 K-1
    Specific Heat Capacity = 390 J kg-1 K-1
    Density - 8900 kg m-3

Titanium

Thermal Conductivity = 6 W m-1 K-1
    Specific Heat Capacity = 500 J kg-1 K-1
    Density - 4500 kg m-3

2. Relevant equations

This equation wasn't given in the question but seems to be relevant.

8ff29039f45e4bd1e41276b599137007.png

where fb5544db7cc3913abfb5d87fc35a6207.png is the rate of heat flow, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the total cross sectional area of conducting surface, ΔT is temperature difference, and x is the thickness of conducting surface separating the 2 temperatures.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm very confused as to how to approach this problem. I first attempted to rearrange the equation for Area, but I would also need to have ΔQ which would require a mass to calculate. Could I just use and arbitrary volume for both components and use the density to calculate a mass?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi lemonbrook, welcome to PF. A common way of estimating the required time for a temperature change to propagate a distance [itex]L[/itex] is [itex]L^2/D[/itex], where [itex]D[/itex] is the material's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_diffusivity" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jul 27, 2009 #3
    That it!

Thanks very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook