1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with an integral

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    Yesterday in class a professor give us this problem:

X= integral of 3du

This is my first year in the university, and I don't know anything about integrals, I have tried to solve it, but I can not find the result... the correct result. It was like a "brain shock" for me, because the professor doesn't explain nothing, just give us that.
    Also, I don't know english, and I don't know if somebody could help me.

Thank you anyway...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2
    The problem is [tex]x= \int{3du}[/tex]. So, how would you integrate a constant?

This might help if I change the variables to x, y which you're probably more accustomed to seeing. [tex]y= \int{3dx}[/tex]
  4. Jul 27, 2008 #3
    An integral is like asking you for an anti-derivative. So that question is basically asking you the antiderivative of 3 with respect to x, which is _____________?
  5. Jul 27, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Manzanita! Welcome to PF! :smile:

In case you don't understand "anti-derivative", that means that you are looking for a function y(x) such that dy/dx = 3. :smile:
  6. Jul 27, 2008 #5

Thank you :D

I was really [I don't know how to explain it...] "problemous... problematic?" [sorry my english is not very well indeed...]

I have seen the answers and I have understand [reading my book and this topic].

Thank you very much ^^

PD: Muchas gracias de veras :D!!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?