Understanding Integrals: A Challenging Problem in Calculus

• Thread starter Manzanita
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, a student was given the problem x= integral of 3du in class, but as a first-year university student, they were not familiar with integrals and were unable to solve it. They were also struggling with understanding the problem due to language barriers. Another student and a professor from the online platform PF helped the student understand that the problem was asking for the antiderivative of 3 with respect to x, and offered additional explanations and resources. The student was grateful for the help and expressed their gratitude in Spanish.
Manzanita
Yesterday in class a professor give us this problem:

X= integral of 3du

This is my first year in the university, and I don't know anything about integrals, I have tried to solve it, but I can not find the result... the correct result. It was like a "brain shock" for me, because the professor doesn't explain nothing, just give us that.
Also, I don't know english, and I don't know if somebody could help me.

Thank you anyway...

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is [tex]x= \int{3du}[/tex]. So, how would you integrate a constant?

This might help if I change the variables to x, y which you're probably more accustomed to seeing. [tex]y= \int{3dx}[/tex]

An integral is like asking you for an anti-derivative. So that question is basically asking you the antiderivative of 3 with respect to x, which is _____________?

Welcome to PF!

vdfortd said:
An integral is like asking you for an anti-derivative. So that question is basically asking you the antiderivative of 3 with respect to x, which is _____________?

Hi Manzanita! Welcome to PF! :smile:

In case you don't understand "anti-derivative", that means that you are looking for a function y(x) such that dy/dx = 3. :smile:

Wow!

Thank you :D

I was really [I don't know how to explain it...] "problemous... problematic?" [sorry my english is not very well indeed...]

I have seen the answers and I have understand [reading my book and this topic].

Thank you very much ^^

PD: Muchas gracias de veras :D!

What is an integral and why is it important?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is important because it allows us to find the total value of a quantity that is continuously changing.

What are some common problems that can occur when working with integrals?

Some common problems that can occur when working with integrals include integration by parts, improper integrals, and determining the limits of integration.

How do you solve a problem with an integral?

To solve a problem with an integral, you must first identify the type of integral and then use the appropriate method to evaluate it. This may involve using integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities.

What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have numerous real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object, finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape, and determining the work done by a variable force.

What are some helpful tips for solving problems with integrals?

Some helpful tips for solving problems with integrals include understanding the fundamental theorem of calculus, practicing with different types of integrals, and using geometry and algebra to simplify the problem.