1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with limits of integration - converting double integral to polar form

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\int_0^2 \int_0^\sqrt{2x-x^2} xy,dy,dx[/itex]

I know the answer, but how does the 2 in the outer integral become pi/2?? I'm fine with everything else, I just can't get this...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2
    Do you have a particular reason for calculating this integral in polar form? It's much easier with Carteesian coordinates. Also I don't understand your question. What is "outer integral"?

4. Dec 5, 2012 #3
    The outer integral is the dx integral, and it's a practice problem out of the book. I know the upper limit for dy in polar is r=2cos(theta) which I got by taking y=root(2x-x2) and converting to polar and solving for r. Why won't this work for dx?

5. Dec 5, 2012 #4
    But what good is that? You need the limits for r and theta, not for x and y. If you want to change to polar coordinates, start by figuring out how x and y are related to r and θ (hint, x≠rcosθ)

6. Dec 5, 2012 #5
    I don't think you read very carefully.

7. Dec 5, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean, the upper limit for r is 2cos(θ).
    To understand the range for θ, it's easiest to draw a picture. The region is bounded above by an inverted parabola passing through (0,0) and (2,0). Since it is wholly within the first quadrant, you have 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2. For any given θ in that range, r can be anything from 0 to the point on the parabola at that θ. Allowing θ to go from 0 to π/2 therefore captures the whole region and nothing but.

8. Dec 6, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well said, haruspex, but the area is not an "inverted parabola". It is the upper semi-circle of the circle with center at (1, 0) and radius 1.

[itex]y= \sqrt{2x- x^2}[/itex] and, squaring, [itex]y^2= 2x- x^2[/itex].
    [itex]x^2- 2x+ y^2= 0[/itex], [itex]x^2- 2x+ 1+ y^2= 1[/itex],
    [itex](x- 1)^2+ y^2= 1[/itex].

9. Dec 6, 2012 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Good catch. I must have dropped the square root.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook