Calculating Distance and Time for a Moving Car with Constant Acceleration

In summary, a car starts to run from rest with an acceleration of 0.5 m/s2 and it will take 120 seconds for the car to travel 60 m.
PerryKid

Homework Statement

A car starts to run from rest with acceleration 0.5 m/s2. How long does it take to travel distance 60m? [sic] (I have a Russian teacher for AP Physics)

Homework Equations

V= (Xf-Xi)/(Tf-Ti)
ΔX= Vi*T+(1/2)aT2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find velocity, but that didn't really work out.
0.5 m/s2=Vf-Vi/Tf-Ti
Is there an equation or some way that I can directly solve for distance from acceleration?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ΔX= Vi*T+(1/2)aT2
from this equation, you are close to the answer already. What does Vi stand for here? and so what is its value?

Vi stands for initial velocity. It has an unknown value.

Last edited:
PerryKid said:
Vi stands for initial velocity. It has an unknown value.
What does "A car starts to run from rest" mean to you with regard to the car's initial velocity?

I got it in class. :frown:

This was the process:

(Vf-Vi)/(Tf-Ti)=A

Or rather... ΔV/ΔT=A

Since A= 0.5 m/s2, A=(0.5 m/s)/1 s

Thus, V= 0.5 m/s

The ratio is the same and thus (0.5 m)/(1 s)=(60 m)/(x s)

60 m*s = 0.5x m*s

120 s

:P

Thank you for putting up with me and with the odd grammar.

PerryKid said:
I got it in class. :frown:

This was the process:

(Vf-Vi)/(Tf-Ti)=A

Or rather... ΔV/ΔT=A

Since A= 0.5 m/s2, A=(0.5 m/s)/1 s

Thus, V= 0.5 m/s

The ratio is the same and thus (0.5 m)/(1 s)=(60 m)/(x s)

60 m*s = 0.5x m*s

120 s

:P

Thank you for putting up with me and with the odd grammar.

That can't be right. After 120 seconds with an acceleration of 0.5 m/s2 the car will have traveled 3.6 kilometers...that's more than slightly larger than 60 m.

What you've sort of calculated is the time it takes for the velocity to reach 60 m/s. Unfortunately, velocity is not the same as distance :smile:

Go back to your second equation (the one for ΔX) and take another look at the posts by BruceW and Chestermiller.

How fast do you run when you are at rest?

1. What could be causing my car to not start?

There are several possible reasons for a car not starting. It could be due to a dead battery, faulty starter, fuel system issue, ignition problems, or a malfunctioning alternator. It's best to have a professional mechanic diagnose the issue to determine the exact cause.

2. Why is my car stalling or running rough?

A car can stall or run rough due to a variety of reasons, such as a clogged fuel filter, dirty air filter, faulty spark plugs or wires, or a malfunctioning sensor. Regular maintenance and tune-ups can help prevent these issues from occurring.

3. How do I know if my car needs an oil change?

Most car manufacturers recommend getting an oil change every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. However, newer cars may have longer intervals between oil changes. It's important to check your owner's manual for the recommended oil change schedule for your specific car. Signs that your car may need an oil change include low oil levels, dark or dirty oil, or strange engine noises.

4. Why is my car overheating?

An overheating car can be caused by a variety of issues, such as a malfunctioning thermostat, low coolant levels, a faulty water pump, or a clogged radiator. It's important to address this issue promptly to prevent engine damage. Have a mechanic inspect your car to determine the cause of the overheating.

5. How often should I replace my car's brake pads?

The frequency of brake pad replacements can vary depending on your driving habits and the type of brake pads used. In general, it's recommended to replace brake pads every 25,000-70,000 miles. Signs that your brake pads may need to be replaced include squeaking or grinding noises, longer stopping distances, or a pulsating brake pedal. Regularly checking your brake pads and having them replaced when needed is crucial for maintaining safe braking performance.