Projectile and acceleration of gravity

In summary, the problem asks how high a ball will rise after being hit by a batter and traveling 86 m to a fielder. The equation y=vi(sin theta)t-1/2g(t)^2 is used to find the height, with vi representing the initial velocity, theta representing the angle of the hit, t representing time, and g representing the acceleration of gravity. The attempt at a solution involves plugging in values for these variables, but it is suggested to write the equation twice to account for the ball reaching the ground and the highest point.
armoredfury16

Homework Statement

During a baseball game, a batter hits a pop-
up to a fielder 86 m away.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
If the ball remains in the air for 6.3 s, how
high does it rise? Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

y=vi(sin theta)t-1/2g(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure I went about this right...I was only able to fill in that equation this much:

y=vi (sin90)6.3-1/2(-9.8?)(6.3)^2

As you can see, I'm pretty clueless as to how to find the height of the ball at it's highest point...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi armoredfury16,

armoredfury16 said:

Homework Statement

During a baseball game, a batter hits a pop-
up to a fielder 86 m away.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
If the ball remains in the air for 6.3 s, how
high does it rise? Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

y=vi(sin theta)t-1/2g(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure I went about this right...I was only able to fill in that equation this much:

y=vi (sin90)6.3-1/2(-9.8?)(6.3)^2

Since the minus sign has been pulled out in front of the 1/2, you don't need it again with the 9.8.

If you want to use that equation, you might try writing it twice--once for the ball reaching the ground, and one for the ball reaching the highest point. What do you get? (In particular, how long does it take for the ball to reach the highest point?)

I would like to first acknowledge the student's attempt at solving the problem using the given equation. However, there are a few errors in their attempt that I would like to address.

Firstly, the equation provided is correct, but the values for initial velocity and angle of launch (theta) are missing. In order to solve for the height, we need to know the initial velocity at which the ball was hit and the angle at which it was launched.

Secondly, the value of -9.8 m/s^2 should be used for the acceleration due to gravity, as it is a constant value on Earth.

To solve for the height, we can use the equation y = vi(sin theta)t - 1/2gt^2, where vi is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, t is the time in seconds, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Using the given information, we can rearrange the equation to solve for the height (y). This would give us y = (86 m) + 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)(6.3 s)^2, which gives us a final height of approximately 100.38 m.

In conclusion, the ball rises to a height of approximately 100.38 m before falling back to the ground. It is important to note that this calculation assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account air resistance or other external factors.

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves through the air under the force of gravity.

2. How is acceleration of gravity related to projectiles?

The acceleration of gravity, denoted by the symbol g, is the rate at which objects accelerate towards the earth's surface due to the force of gravity. This acceleration affects the trajectory of a projectile, causing it to follow a curved path.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the acceleration of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also play a role.

4. What is the equation for calculating the distance traveled by a projectile?

The equation for calculating the distance traveled by a projectile is d = v0t + 1/2gt2, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration of gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

5. Can the acceleration of gravity change?

No, the acceleration of gravity is a constant value that is dependent on the mass and radius of the planet. On Earth, the acceleration of gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s2 and does not change unless the location or mass of the planet is altered.