Projectile Motion (2) Homework - Labeling Points, Drawing Vectors

• Thread starter kevin948
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
The acceleration vector at point 1 is the average acceleration for the interval from 0 to 1 seconds. So it's the change in velocity divided by the change in time. Can you write the acceleration vector in terms of the average velocity vectors?(d) To find the numerical values, you need to know the lengths of the average velocity and acceleration vectors. Can you use the information from part (c) to calculate these lengths?(e) The distance unit is not specified, so we cannot determine how many meters it represents. You would need more information about the projectile's motion to determine this.
kevin948

Homework Statement

(I attached diagram)

The motion diagram shown on the attachment represents the position of a projectile in flight at 1 seconds intervals in tie. The projectile starts at the origin of the coordinate system.

a) Label the points 0 to 6

b) Draw the average velocity vectors for each interval on the diagram, labeling them

- - -
V₁,V₁₂,...,V56 (- mean vector)
- - -
c) Take the acceleration vector at point 1 to be a₁= V₁₂-V₁/△t
and draw this vector on the diagram with its tail at point 1. Repeat this procedure for points 2 through 5.

d ) Find the numercial values for each of the velocity vectors in pard (b) and each of the acceleration vectors in part (c), leaving them with the unspecified units for distance.

e) How mant meters does each distance unit represent?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea about this problems...please help me

Attachments

• PHY3.jpg
    PHY3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll assume you can do (a), but just to be sure I'll mention that the "0" goes in the lower left and the "6" in the lower right.

(b) What is the definition of average velocity? That will be useful here.

I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts and using the appropriate equations and principles of physics to solve it. First, I would label the given points on the diagram as instructed in part (a). These points represent the position of the projectile at 1 second intervals, starting at the origin (0).

Next, in part (b), I would use the equation for average velocity (V=Δx/Δt) to find the average velocity for each interval. The average velocity vector would be drawn as a line segment with its tail at the starting point and its head at the ending point of the interval. These vectors would be labeled as V₁, V₂, V₃, V₄, V₅, and V₆, corresponding to the intervals 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6, respectively.

In part (c), I would use the equation for acceleration (a=Δv/Δt) to find the acceleration vector at each point. The acceleration vector would be drawn as a line segment with its tail at the given point and its head at the next point, and would be labeled as a₁, a₂, a₃, a₄, and a₅, corresponding to points 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6, respectively.

For part (d), I would calculate the numerical values for each vector using the given information and the appropriate equations. The units for distance would be left unspecified as they were not given in the problem.

Lastly, in part (e), I would determine the conversion factor between the unspecified distance units and meters, using the given information and principles of dimensional analysis. This would allow me to convert the numerical values of each vector into meters.

Overall, this problem involves using the principles of projectile motion, such as position, velocity, and acceleration, to label and draw vectors on a motion diagram and calculate their numerical values. It also requires understanding of equations and principles of physics, as well as dimensional analysis, to solve the problem. By breaking it down into smaller parts and using a systematic approach, the problem can be solved effectively.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched at an angle, and travels through the air under the influence of gravity. Examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, shooting a cannonball, or launching a rocket.

2. How is projectile motion different from regular motion?

Projectile motion is different from regular motion because it involves two components of motion: horizontal and vertical. In regular motion, an object typically moves in only one direction. In projectile motion, the object moves both horizontally and vertically at the same time.

3. What are the key points to label in a projectile motion problem?

The key points to label in a projectile motion problem include the initial position of the object, the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the maximum height reached by the object, and the final position of the object. It is also important to label the x and y axes and the units of measurement.

4. How do you draw vectors in a projectile motion problem?

In a projectile motion problem, you can draw vectors to represent the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity. The initial velocity vector should be drawn in the direction of the angle of launch, and the acceleration vector should be drawn vertically downwards. The length of the vectors should be proportional to the magnitude of the velocity and acceleration.

5. What are some common equations used in projectile motion problems?

Some common equations used in projectile motion problems include the horizontal and vertical components of displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These can be calculated using trigonometric functions and the equations of motion. The equation for calculating the maximum height reached by the object is also commonly used.