Projectile Motion: Firing range

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving kinematic equations and finding the vertical and horizontal velocity at a given time. The individual has attempted and solved parts (a), (b), and (c) of the problem and is seeking help with part (d). They are given the initial vertical and horizontal velocity, as well as the vertical acceleration, and are trying to find the answer of 28.9 m/s. A possible solution is suggested by using the equations ##v_v=v_0\sin\theta## and ##v_h=v_0\cos\theta## and the given information.
Scorry
1. Homework Statement

The problem and all known information is attached.

Homework Equations

The kinematic equations are attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is attached. I did part (a), (b), and (c), right.

How do I do part (d)? I tried distance/ time .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 456
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 457
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can find its vertical and horizontal velocity at that time, then you can reach the goal. Since you have done the first three problems, this couldn't be complicated for you. Give it a try!

Thanks for reply. Its the easiest question but I don't see it. I tried a few a things before you commented.

Can you explain why is it 28.9 m/s?

Last edited:
I will help. Just give me a sec to read the question.

You are given the initial vertical and horizontal velocity ##v_v=v_0\sin\theta## and ##v_h=v_0\cos\theta## and the vertical acceleration ##a=-g.## Because ##v_h## remains constant, so when ##t=1.5,## ##v_h=v_0\cos\theta## and ##v_v=v_0\sin\theta+at=v_0\sin\theta-1.5s\cdot g.## This can give you any idea?

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched or fired into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. This type of motion is commonly seen in activities such as throwing a ball or shooting a projectile.

What factors affect the firing range of a projectile?

The firing range of a projectile is affected by a number of factors, including the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is fired, and the force of gravity. Other factors that may play a role include air resistance, wind, and the shape and weight of the projectile itself.

How can the firing range be calculated for a projectile?

The firing range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v02sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes no air resistance and a flat surface.

What is the optimal angle for maximum firing range?

The optimal angle for maximum firing range depends on the initial velocity of the projectile and the force of gravity. However, in most cases, the optimal angle is found to be 45 degrees, as this angle allows for the greatest horizontal distance traveled before the projectile hits the ground.

How does air resistance affect the firing range of a projectile?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the firing range of a projectile. As the projectile travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which can cause it to slow down and decrease its range. The effect of air resistance is more pronounced at higher velocities and for objects with a larger surface area.