Projectile motion in 1 dimension problem

In summary, an object with an initial vertical velocity of 15 m/s will gain elevation (altitude) as it decelerates. The distance x, would be positive, until the projectile falls back to its initial elevation and continues to fall, as is the case in this problem.
toddler
Hi, having trouble with the following problem:

A stone is thrown vertically upward from a bridge 30.0m high at an initial velocity of 15.0 m/s . How long will it take for the stone to hit water?

I set it up first by writing my givens down:
initial velocity = 15.0 m/s.
distance (x) = 30 m ( I'm not sure if its positive or negative since its coming back down)
Acceleration = -9.8 m/s squared (negative because its force coming down against gravtiy)

used kinematic equation : X= Intial velocity (time) + 1/2 at squared

i'm not getting the answer 4.44 that I am supposed to be getting..pleast help

Physics news on Phys.org
used kinematic equation : X= Intial velocity (time) + 1/2 at squared
That's part of it.

Let's think about what is happening.

The stone is launched vertically with an intial velocity 15 m/s. So the stone travels upward until it stops, because it is decelerating with gravity.

What is that time?

Then the stone falls, in the same amount of time, back to the bridge. It must be then traveling at 15 m/s downward (it's falling) past the bridge (elevation where it started), and then continuing falling another 30 feet (the height of the bridge above the water).

my teacher said that if i make Acceleration a negative (-9.8), then i have to make the distance X negative also, which would be (-30) ... or you can make both positive,...as long as they are set up with the same sign, it will work out...

is this true?

toddler said:
my teacher said that if i make Acceleration a negative (-9.8), then i have to make the distance X negative also, which would be (-30) ... or you can make both positive,...as long as they are set up with the same sign, it will work out...

is this true?
Not in all cases. If the object was just falling, e.g. one drop a rock, then the distance would be negative if one used x = -1/2 g t2. BTW, this is relative meaning the - sign indicates a decrease in elevation.

In the case where an object has an initial vertical velocity, it is gaining elevation (altitude) as it decelerates. In this case, the distance x, would be positive, that is until the projectile falls back to its initial elevation and continues to fall, as is the case in this problem.

The other approach would be to determine the height of the projectile at its maximum (and the time that it takes), then determine the time that it would fall from that point to the point of interest.

thank you astronuc, you cleared up the distance portion for me, i can visualize in my head now...but for the A=9.8, when is it negative and when is it positive...i'm still unsure about that

1. What is projectile motion in 1 dimension?

Projectile motion in 1 dimension refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves only in one direction (either horizontally or vertically) due to the force of gravity acting on it.

2. What are the key principles of projectile motion in 1 dimension?

The key principles of projectile motion in 1 dimension are: the object's initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity acting on it.

3. How do you solve for the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a projectile in 1 dimension?

To solve for the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a projectile in 1 dimension, you can use the equations of motion: s = ut + 1/2at^2, v = u + at, and a = g = 9.8 m/s^2. Where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can you have negative values for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in projectile motion in 1 dimension?

Yes, you can have negative values for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in projectile motion in 1 dimension. Negative values indicate the direction of motion, where a negative displacement means the object is moving in the opposite direction, a negative velocity means the object is slowing down, and a negative acceleration means the object is decelerating or moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion in 1 dimension?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion in 1 dimension by slowing down the object's velocity and reducing its range. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts opposite to the direction of motion, causing the object to lose speed and decrease its displacement.