Projectile Motion (not on Earth)

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a physics problem involving a truck being dropped from a building on a planet with an unknown acceleration. The conversation discusses using the equations for average speed and acceleration to find the acceleration on the planet, and the person ultimately uses the equation xf=xi+vit+1/2a*t^2 to solve the problem. The final answer obtained was 15.86 meters after 3 seconds.
randomphysicsguy123
Homework Statement
A truck is dropped out of a building that is 20 meters high. When the truck started to fall, it went 1 meter after the first second. After a total of 3 seconds, how high is the truck located from the ground? (Hint: This is not on earth)
Relevant Equations
delta y = vt+1/2at^2
I know I need to solve for acceleration as I am not on Earth and I am assuming I should create a distance vs. time graph. But overall I am unsure what to do. Please help been stuck on this for a while.

Physics news on Phys.org
randomphysicsguy123 said:
Homework Statement:: A truck is dropped out of a building that is 20 meters high. When the truck started to fall, it went 1 meter after the first second. After a total of 3 seconds, how high is the truck located from the ground? (Hint: This is not on earth)
Relevant Equations:: delta y = vt+1/2at^2

I know I need to solve for acceleration as I am not on Earth and I am assuming I should create a distance vs. time graph. But overall I am unsure what to do. Please help been stuck on this for a while.
One metre in one second is an average speed of ##1m/s##, right?

Correct. But could you provide a bit more insight as what I should do I am really lost.

Correct. But could you provide a bit more insight as what I should do I am really lost.
How is average speed related to acceleration?

average speed=d/t
a=change in v/ change in time

average speed=d/t
a=change in v/ change in time
Can you use those to find the acceleration on the mystery planet?

Yes I could however I keep getting 1m/s^2 but when xf=xi+vit+1/2a*t2 to check if that statement is true I get .92m/s^2

Yes I could however I keep getting 1m/s^2 but when xf=xi+vit+1/2a*t2 to check if that statement is true I get .92m/s^2
If the acceleration is ##1m/s^2##, how far does the object fall in the first second?

1 meter

1 meter
If that was a guess it was wrong. Why not use ##s = ut + \frac 1 2 a t^2##, with ##u = 0## and ##t = 1s##?

Why guess when you have SUVAT equations?

Didn't think about that. Regardless, I already turned it in and I used the equation xf=xi+vit+1/2a*t^2, which got me 15.86 meters at 3 seconds. Hope it was right. Thank you for your help.

Didn't think about that. Regardless, I already turned it in and I used the equation xf=xi+vit+1/2a*t^2, which got me 15.86 meters at 3 seconds. Hope it was right. Thank you for your help.
xf=xi+vit+1/2a*t^2 tells you that, starting from rest, the distance is proportional to t2. So after three times the time, how many times the distance?

Likes jbriggs444

1. How does gravity affect projectile motion on other planets?

Gravity plays a crucial role in projectile motion on other planets. The strength of gravity varies from planet to planet, which affects the acceleration of an object in free fall. This, in turn, affects the trajectory and range of a projectile. On planets with stronger gravity, projectiles will have a shorter range and a steeper trajectory compared to those on planets with weaker gravity.

2. Can the same equations used for projectile motion on Earth be applied to other planets?

Yes, the same equations used for projectile motion on Earth can be applied to other planets. The equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration are universal and do not change based on the planet's gravity. However, the values for acceleration due to gravity and initial velocity may differ on other planets, so these variables must be adjusted accordingly.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion on other planets?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact projectile motion on other planets. The density of a planet's atmosphere and the speed and shape of the projectile can affect the amount of air resistance experienced. In some cases, air resistance may cause a projectile to deviate from its expected trajectory and reduce its range.

4. Is the angle of launch important in projectile motion on other planets?

Yes, the angle of launch is crucial in projectile motion on other planets. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as it allows for the greatest horizontal displacement. However, on planets with stronger gravity, a lower angle may be more effective. The angle of launch also affects the time of flight and the maximum height reached by the projectile.

5. How does the mass of the projectile affect its motion on other planets?

The mass of the projectile does not have a significant impact on its motion on other planets. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the mass of the projectile cancels out in the equations for projectile motion, and it does not affect the trajectory or range of the projectile.