Projectile Motion Problem: Solving for Optimal Nozzle Angle for a Fire Hose

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a problem involving a fire hose shooting water at a speed of 7.1 m/s. They are trying to determine the angles at which the nozzle must point in order for the water to land 2.0 m away. They also discuss the equation of the path for a projectile and whether it follows a parabola. The person admits they do not know the equation and asks for recommendations on how to solve the problem. There is also a mention of a web forum not being a substitute for a textbook or teacher, and the conversation ends with the person asking about the shortest trajectory to a 2.0 m target. In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the angles and equation
jpodo
I'm having trouble solving this one. Help would be much appreciated!

A fire hose held near the ground shoots water at a speed of 7.1 m/s.

a.) At what 2 angles could the nozzle point in order that the water would land 2.0 m away?

b.) why are there two different angles?

Physics news on Phys.org
What path does a projectile make? What's the equation of the path?

it is shot in an upward angle <90 degrees. I don't know the equation of the path.

Projectiles always follow a parabola. Do you know the equation for a parabola as a parametric equation (i.e. expressing both x and y as functions of t)?

uh, I'm not really sure. How would you recommend solving this?

A web forum isn't really the best substitute for a textbook or a teacher. Have you covered this in class? Is there a textbook that you can refer to?

jpodo said:
b.) why are there two different angles?

Is this a homework question?

And yes, there are two different angles.

Hint...What is the shortest trajectory to a terget 2.0m away?

Jim

Sorry for the Q about homework. Thread was moved while I was writing.

Jim

Yeah this is homework if it matters. I have no clue what the shortest trajectory is. I just need to know what equation pertains to this problem

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity alone. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and gravitational force. These factors determine the shape, height, and distance of the projectile's trajectory.

3. What is the formula for calculating projectile motion?

The formula for calculating projectile motion is x = x0 + v0 * cosθ * t for horizontal motion and y = y0 + v0 * sinθ * t - 1/2 * g * t2 for vertical motion, where x and y are the coordinates at time t, x0 and y0 are the initial coordinates, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How do you solve projectile motion problems?

To solve projectile motion problems, you must first identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the appropriate formulas to calculate the unknown variables. Finally, check your answer for reasonableness and accuracy.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications, such as throwing a ball, launching a rocket, shooting a cannon, and throwing a frisbee. It is also used in sports, such as baseball, basketball, and golf, to predict the trajectory of the ball and improve performance.