Projectile Motion with acceleration phase

In summary, the projectile moves 20 m/s for 2 seconds and has a height of 40 m when it reaches its final position.
ionic_scream

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched and accelerates for 2 seconds with an acceleration a = 2t + 4t3 at 60º wrt the horizontal, it then "coasts" until impact at the same altitude which it was launched from.
Find a) V at t=2s
b) Max Height
c) Impact Velocity

Homework Equations

Y - Y0 = Vy0t + .5at2
Vy - Vy0 = at

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
First I need to find the velocity in vector notation for t = 2, which will also be the initial velocity for the projectile motion section of the problem.
a = 2t + 4t3
[tex]\int^{2}_{0}[/tex](2t + 4t3)
[t2+t4][tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex]=20
So V(2) = 20 m/s

Sin(60º) = y1/20
y1=17.3 m/s

Cos(60º) =x1/20
x1 = 10 m/2

So V = (10m/s)i + (17.3m/s)j
(b)
To start the projectile motion problem I first need to find the initial height(The height at which the acceleration phase ends)
So I took the integral of the velocity at 2s to find the position at 2s.
[tex]\int^{2}_{0}[/tex](20)
[20t][tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex]
So r(2) = 40

This is where my question is, is this correct to take the integral of the result of part a velocity? Or should I take the integral like the following?

-OR-
[tex]\int^{2}_{0}[/tex](t2 + t4)
[(1/3)t3 + (1/5)][tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex] = (8/3) + (32/5)

? I don't have any problems working out the rest of the problem I just can't remember the proper procedure to find the height? Any help would be awesome since I'll be tested on this in less than 24 hours! haha thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ionic_scream said:

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched and accelerates for 2 seconds with an acceleration a = 2t + 4t3 at 60º wrt the horizontal, it then "coasts" until impact at the same altitude which it was launched from.
Find a) V at t=2s
b) Max Height
c) Impact VelocityI don't have any problems working out the rest of the problem I just can't remember the proper procedure to find the height? Any help would be awesome since I'll be tested on this in less than 24 hours! haha thanks

My concern with your approach is that I'm not sure that you have accounted for the 60 degree angle of launch.
Is the effect of gravity on the y component to be ignored?
Is the initial velocity taken at the end of 2 seconds for the free fall gravity phase still at the angle of 60 degrees?

LowlyPion said:
My concern with your approach is that I'm not sure that you have accounted for the 60 degree angle of launch.
Is the effect of gravity on the y component to be ignored?
Is the initial velocity taken at the end of 2 seconds for the free fall gravity phase still at the angle of 60 degrees?

Yea we are just supposed to ignore gravity's effect during the acceleration phase and assume it doesn't start until free fall phase. It sounds dumb i know, but maybe when my instructor wrote it he thought the given acceleration has accounted for it's effect? idk, but yea it's still at 60º at the start of free fall.

ionic_scream said:
Yea we are just supposed to ignore gravity's effect during the acceleration phase and assume it doesn't start until free fall phase. It sounds dumb i know, but maybe when my instructor wrote it he thought the given acceleration has accounted for it's effect? idk, but yea it's still at 60º at the start of free fall.

So then treat it as a rail launcher I guess is the model to follow. Then the rest is simple kinematics as you note. Otherwise I don't see anything that stands out in error in your technique.

I would choose to take the integral over the Velocity function itself to get the distance traveled.

Good Luck.

1. What is projectile motion with acceleration phase?

Projectile motion with acceleration phase refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air and experiences acceleration due to gravity. This results in a curved or parabolic path.

2. What is the difference between projectile motion with acceleration phase and without acceleration phase?

The main difference is that in projectile motion without acceleration phase, the object experiences a constant velocity in the horizontal direction while in projectile motion with acceleration phase, the object experiences a changing velocity in both the horizontal and vertical directions due to the acceleration of gravity.

3. How is the acceleration phase of projectile motion calculated?

The acceleration phase of projectile motion can be calculated using the equation a = g * sin(theta), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and theta is the angle at which the object is projected.

4. How does the angle of projection affect projectile motion with acceleration phase?

The angle of projection plays a significant role in determining the range and height of the projectile. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, while the optimal angle for maximum height is 90 degrees.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion with acceleration phase?

Projectile motion with acceleration phase is commonly seen in sports such as basketball, where players shoot the ball into the air at an angle, and in activities such as throwing a frisbee or playing catch. It is also used in physics experiments and in the design of rockets and missiles.