Projectile motion rock throw speed

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a rock is thrown from the top of a 20m building at an angle of 53 degrees above the horizontal. The question is asked about the speed at which the rock was thrown, given that the horizontal range is equal to the height of the building. The conversation then goes on to discuss using equations to solve for the unknown variables, including the x and y components of the initial velocity.
Rasine
a rock is thrown from the tope pf a 20m buliding at an angle of 53 deg. above the horizontal. of the horizontal range of the throw is equal to the hieght of the buliding, with what speed was the rock thrown?

if i am given range i am trying to use x=xo+vot+.5at^2

but i don't know the time.

the velocity in the x direction would be vx=m/s and would equal v0cos53=20/s

in the y directio it would be vosin53=20/s

i don't know where to go...please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
well I think you are on the right path:

20=Vo(cos53) *t
0=20+V0(sin53)t+ .5(-9.8)t^2.

"if i am given range i am trying to use x=xo+vot+.5at^2"

This is not the equation you want for horizontal range. There will not be any acceleration in the horizontal direction once the rock is thrown. So how will that change things? The above equation will work for vertical distance, though.
So if you figure that out you will have two equations and two unknowns, allowing you to solve for v.

You will need to use the x and y components of the initial velocity. You are not quite right in your expressions for them, get rid of the 20/s (I'm not sure I understand what it is doing there like that) and just leave it equal to vy and vx to put into your other equations.

Try it and see if any of this helps.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is the speed of a rock throw calculated?

The speed of a rock throw can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as the average speed. However, if we want to calculate the instantaneous speed at a specific moment during the throw, we would need to use calculus.

3. What factors affect the speed of a rock throw?

The speed of a rock throw is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational force. The initial velocity and angle of launch determine the direction and magnitude of the throw, while air resistance and gravitational force play a role in slowing down the rock's speed.

4. How does the height of the throw affect the speed?

The height of the throw does not directly affect the speed of the rock. However, it does affect the time it takes for the rock to hit the ground. The higher the throw, the longer the rock is in the air, and thus the longer it has to accelerate due to gravity. This can result in a higher final speed when the rock hits the ground.

5. Can the speed of a rock throw be increased by changing the angle of launch?

Yes, the speed of a rock throw can be increased by changing the angle of launch. The optimal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees, but this may not necessarily result in the highest speed. Changing the angle can also affect the trajectory and final speed of the rock.