1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile on inclnined plane

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A person stands at the base of a hill that is a straight incline making an angle ϕ with the horizontal. For a given initial speed v₀, at what angle θ (to the horizontal) should objects be thrown so that the distance d they land up the hill is as large as possible?"

I've looked up the same question on the internet, but the answers are either the formula (1/2arctan(-cotϕ) = θ) or π/4+ ϕ/2. I already figured out how to get 1/2arctan(-cotϕ) = θ, but I do not know how they got they π/4+ ϕ/2. Also, which is the correct answer?

2. Relevant equations

1/2arctan(-cotϕ) = θ

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The π/4 + φ/2 formula predicts 45 degrees when φ=0, which is certainly correct. The arctan formula doesn't work at φ=0. At φ=45 degrees, the first formula predicts a reasonable 67.5 degrees, while the arctan formula seems to say -22.5 degrees. Better check my calc; I make mistakes.

The second formula is pretty well known. No doubt you could find a derivation of it on the web. Try searching for "Projectile motion on an incline". Of course it is always better to figure it out yourself if you have the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook