Projection of a differentiable manifold onto a plane

In summary, you need to approximate a 3-manifold in R4 as a union of 1000 pyramids. You then project the vertices of these pyramids onto a 2D plane. Finally, you apply a rotation to the projection so that the plane lies in the 3D manifold.
Etherian
For a game I am thinking about making I would need to know how to project points from a differentiable bounded 3-manifold to a Euclidean plane (the computer screen). The manifold would be made from a 3-dimensional space with two balls cut out of it and a hypercylinder glued onto it at the holes created. The result, hopefully, would be similar to the game Portal.

I only have a cursory knowledge of topology, so I do not know how to do such a projection or where to look to find out. An explanation of how or where to look for one would be a great help to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you'll be embedding this 3-manifold into R4. If this is the case, it's more a matter of linear algebra than anything else.

You can approximate this manifold as a union 3-simplexes (pyramids with four triangular sides) in R4. Perhaps you'll have 1000 of these simplexes to form a decent approximation. You can represent each simplex as a matrix S where the columns are the vertices of the simplex:

s11 s12 s13 s14
s21 s22 s23 s24
s31 s32 s33 s34
s41 s42 s43 s44

You want to project this onto some 2-dimensional plane in R4. Suppose this plane has normal u = (u1, u2, u3, u4). Then we want each of the vertices (columns of S) to be sent to a point on this plane (which we are assuming passes through the origin).

You can create a "shift" matrix M which, when subtracted from S, gives the projected location of each point. The i-th column of M will be a vector mi = (si DOT u)/(u DOT u) u, where si is the i-th column of S.

Then you apply a rotation to (S - M) so that the plane lies in the x-y plane. Then you just use the first two coordinates of each column vector.

Your response definitely helped me, but I believe the 2D plane P would have to be in the 3-manifold M to achieve the effect I am looking for. Like I said, though, I am still learning about this stuff. Also, I was hoping that by gluing and ungluing the two submanifolds I could get away with not having to define M using simplexes which would be expensive in memory and computation.

Last edited:
Never mind about the previous post. I have everything I need to know now. Thanks for your help.

I can provide some insights into this topic. First, let me explain what a differentiable manifold is. A differentiable manifold is a mathematical space that is locally similar to Euclidean space, but may have a more complex global structure. In simpler terms, it is a space that looks like a curved surface, but each point on the surface behaves like a point on a flat plane.

Now, to address the question of projecting a differentiable manifold onto a plane. This is a common problem in mathematics and computer graphics, and there are various techniques that can be used to achieve this projection. One approach is to use a mapping function that transforms points on the manifold to points on the plane. This function can be based on the geometry of the manifold and the desired properties of the projection.

In your specific case, where you want to create a game similar to Portal, you can look into techniques such as stereographic projection or conformal mapping. These methods are commonly used in computer graphics and can help you achieve the desired projection from your 3-manifold to a 2-dimensional plane.

If you are not familiar with these techniques, I would recommend consulting with a mathematician or a computer graphics expert who can assist you in implementing them in your game. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can help you understand and apply these techniques.

In conclusion, projecting a differentiable manifold onto a plane is a well-studied problem in mathematics and computer graphics, and there are various techniques that can be used to achieve this. With a little research and assistance from experts, you can successfully implement this projection in your game.

1. What is a differentiable manifold?

A differentiable manifold is a mathematical concept that combines the ideas of a manifold and a smooth structure. A manifold is a space that locally resembles Euclidean space, while a smooth structure allows for the definition of smooth functions on the manifold.

2. How is a differentiable manifold projected onto a plane?

A differentiable manifold can be projected onto a plane by using a mapping that preserves the differentiable structure of the manifold. This mapping is known as a projection map and can be defined using mathematical tools such as charts and coordinates.

3. What is the purpose of projecting a differentiable manifold onto a plane?

The purpose of projecting a differentiable manifold onto a plane is to simplify the study and analysis of the manifold. By projecting onto a lower-dimensional space, we can gain a better understanding of the geometric and topological properties of the manifold.

4. How is the projection of a differentiable manifold onto a plane useful in practical applications?

The projection of a differentiable manifold onto a plane has many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis. It can also be used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving curved surfaces.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in projecting a differentiable manifold onto a plane?

Yes, there are limitations and challenges in projecting a differentiable manifold onto a plane. For example, not all manifolds can be smoothly embedded or projected onto a plane. Also, the projection may not preserve all of the geometric properties of the manifold, which can make analysis and visualization more difficult.