1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: log(x) is irrational

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    I am to prove that [tex]\log_{2} 7[/tex] is irrational. So I started by saying that what if [tex]\log_{2} 7[/tex] is rational. Then it must be in the form of [tex]\frac{m}{n}[/tex] where m and n are integers. So now [tex]\log_2 7 = \frac{m}{n}[/tex] So I took the 2^ up of each and now [tex]7 = 2^{\frac{m}{n}}[/tex] Then [tex]7 = \sqrt[n]{2^m}[/tex] But now I seem to be lost. Do I now try to prove that [tex]\sqrt[n]{2^m}[/tex] is irrational, or what do I need to do. Any ideas? Maybe proove that [tex]2^{\frac{m}{n}} \neq 7[/tex] by 2^{anything rational} must be something?
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You just need to prove it's not 7.
  4. Aug 28, 2005 #3
    How about:

[tex]7 = 2^{\frac{m}{n}}[/tex]

So, [tex]7^n = 2^m[/tex]

which is a contradiction because, [tex]7^n[/tex] is always odd while [tex]2^m[/tex] is always even, for n and m as integers and [tex]n \neq 0[/tex]
  5. Aug 28, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

In this case, that approach is fine. But it wouldn't work, for example if the question asks you about base 3 logs. In that instance, use the uniqueness of prime factorisation.
  6. Aug 28, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

More generally, if you wanted to prove it for a different base (e.g. 3) you could simply invoke the prime factorization theorem at that last step.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?