Proof of Convergence: a_n>=0 and summation a_n

  • Thread starter Thread starter fk378
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergence Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
fk378
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that if a_n>=0 and summation a_n converges, then summation (a_n)^2 also converges.

The Attempt at a Solution


(Note: When I say "lim" please assume the limit as n-->infinity). I just want it to be a little clearer to read)

If summation a_n converges, then lim(a_n)=0. If lim(a_n)=0, then lim(a_n)^2=0.
If summation (a_n)^2 diverges, then lim(a_n)^2 does not equal 0. But lim(a_n)^2=0, so summation (a_n)^2 must converge.

Can anyone let me know if this is a valid proof? I'm not sure how else to prove it otherwise...thank you.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fk378 said:
If summation (a_n)^2 diverges, then lim (n-->inf) (a_n)^2 does not equal 0. But lim (n-->inf) (a_n)^2=0, so summation (a_n)^2 must converge.

I'm having some trouble following those lines. What about [tex]a_{n}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex]?
 
Last edited:
Oh, that does go against my proof. I don't know how else to prove it then. Any suggestions?

(I also edited a bit of my original post so that it would be a bit easier to read, hopefully)
 
fk378 said:
If summation (a_n)^2 diverges, then lim(a_n)^2 does not equal 0.
This is definitely NOT true!

However, it is true that if [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges then [itex]lim a_n= 0[/itex].
For sufficiently large n, an< 1 and so an2< |an|.