Proving that a sequence is always positive given two constraining relations

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the statement that ##t_n > 0## for all ##n##, given the recursive formula ##t_{n+1} = \frac{t_n^2 + 2}{2t_n}## and initial condition ##t_1 = 1##. The conversation suggests using induction or proof by contradiction to prove this statement, and also briefly mentions the existence of a limit for the sequence ##\{t_n\}##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Given that ##t_1 = 1## and ##\displaystyle t_{n+1} = \frac{t_n^2 + 2}{2t_n}## for ##n \ge 1##. Show that ##t_n > 0## for all ##n##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuitively this is obvious. Since ##t_1## is positive, so is ##t_2##, and so on. But I am having trouble proving this rigorously...

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
How about an induction?
Ah I see, that's a really easy induction. So, suppose I am assuming that ##t_n## converges, and I take the limit of both sides to solve the equation to get that ##\lim t_n = \pm \sqrt{2}##. Would I need to prove using induction that ##\forall n ~ t_n > 0## before I can disregard the negative root?

You said you want a formal proof for ##t_n > 0## which is either an induction or a proof by contradiction. You said nothing about the limit. If all sequence elements are positive, which I think doesn't need a formal proof, the limit can lowest be zero. Otherwise you would have a gap around the limit, i.e. a neighborhood without sequence elements.

Last edited:
Mr Davis 97 said:
Ah I see, that's a really easy induction. So, suppose I am assuming that ##t_n## converges, and I take the limit of both sides to solve the equation to get that ##\lim t_n = \pm \sqrt{2}##. Would I need to prove using induction that ##\forall n ~ t_n > 0## before I can disregard the negative root?

If you have a sequence ##\{ t_n \}## with all ##t_n > 0## then if a limit exists it cannot be ##< 0##; it may be zero or it may be positive. Think about it, and make sure you understand why.

However, this question (as written down by you) does not ask at all about limits.

1. Can you explain the concept of a positive sequence?

A positive sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is greater than zero. In other words, all the numbers in the sequence are positive. This is in contrast to a negative sequence where all the numbers are less than zero, and a mixed sequence where some numbers are positive and others are negative.

2. What do you mean by "constraining relations" in this context?

Constraining relations refer to equations or inequalities that limit the possible values of a sequence. In the context of proving that a sequence is always positive, constraining relations can be used to set boundaries for the range of values that the sequence can take.

3. How do you prove that a sequence is always positive?

To prove that a sequence is always positive, you need to show that every term in the sequence is greater than zero. This can be done by using mathematical induction or by finding a closed-form expression for the sequence and showing that it is always positive for all possible input values.

4. Can you give an example of a sequence that is always positive?

One example of a sequence that is always positive is the Fibonacci sequence, where each term is the sum of the two preceding terms. This sequence can be proven to be always positive by mathematical induction.

5. Are there any specific techniques or strategies to use when proving that a sequence is always positive?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used when proving that a sequence is always positive. These include mathematical induction, finding a closed-form expression for the sequence, using the properties of geometric or arithmetic sequences, and using known properties of positive numbers such as the fact that a product of two positive numbers is always positive.